Woodland crisis: Ash Dieback

slack ma girdle

1 hour ago, sime42 said:

You're a little unfair to Ash, if you don't mind me saying so. It is great firewood, no doubt about that, but it also has other uses. It's very good for making tool handles, due to its strength and slight flex, second only to hickory I think. As it's relatively light for its strength, and takes to steam bending well, it was extensively used in coach building and similar applications in the past.

Oh don't get me wrong. It's fine and I'd use it if I had some but it's easily replaceable. There's still some about too for people who want it for niche things.

1 hour ago, Pete Mctree said:

Your a bit too myopic in your views for me. I am seeing the collapse of an already stressed ecosystem.

& in 10,000 years our species will be no more than a bad memory, which for the planet will be a relief I bet.

On the contrary, I looked 10,000 years into the future as a minimum whereas Murray was worried about brambles for as long as it takes him to fell 4 hectares. None of it matters though. Gaia bless.

• Like 1

So the small strips of woodland that I try to manage are Ash, Sycamore and Cherry ,the Ash that was felled before die back arrived are now sprouting from the root plate at the mo they are only whips but its looking like they may be resistant hopefully ,so we are keeping an eye on them and I will obviously keep you all informed .

• Like 1

13 hours ago, AHPP said:

On the contrary, I looked 10,000 years into the future as a minimum whereas Murray was worried about brambles for as long as it takes him to fell 4 hectares. None of it matters though. Gaia bless.

Forgot is was mushroom season- you have many 🤩

• Haha 1