Screwfix Drill/Impact Driver Twin Pack Bargains - DeWalt vs Makita

carbs for arbs

4 hours ago, Baldbloke said:

Thank you. Our house and where the cheapest quote came in at £60 k at £84 a square metre. Total DIY cost excluding labour was for 9 tonnes of sand, three of cement and three impact hammer drills @ £130 each plus sundries such as plasticiser, SDS chisels, etc.

184 hours for that west side you have pictured, but that included replacing a window over lintel and other building work, that would’ve been in addition to the professional quotes. IMG_6487.thumb.jpg.669d22977713028dd7c9d4180e54c075.jpgThe other side took less time but also included replacing 2 lintels and some crappy infill of brick around services that the harl concealed.

I also have an old wanked out cherry picker that saved on the 2k erection of scaffolding and weekly rental of it that the professionals required.

Well worth the hard work, you saved yourself a hell of a wad of cash there.

• Like 1

Well a few weeks ago my old Makita orange batteries died and I was stuck for a drill to use up the ladder so I went into Screwfix and got one of their Erbauer 18v brushless drills. I've used it quite a bit putting screws into brick for conduit clips and the first battery is still showing 4 bars of charge and nothing has phased it, leaning on it to get the job done quicker. Can't fault it.

• Like 1

Well a few weeks ago my old Makita orange batteries died and I was stuck for a drill to use up the ladder so I went into Screwfix and got one of their Erbauer 18v brushless drills. I've used it quite a bit putting screws into brick for conduit clips and the first battery is still showing 4 bars of charge and nothing has phased it, leaning on it to get the job done quicker. Can't fault it.
Glad to see Erbauer getting a mention. Well worth considering in my opinion. I've had various of their tools over the years, cordless and corded. They've all been great, very hardworking and long lasting. Can't fault them for the price, real value for money.

The last couple of years I've decided to upgrade to Makita tools, got a couple of drill and impact drivers now. Not at all sure that I'm getting the same value for money as Erbauer though.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Stere said:

Whats wrong with the  batteries?

Not as good quality as Milwaukee ,Panasonic or bosch had a lot of problems with them on high drain tools , angle grinders and saws batteries kept dieing. Goood batteries talk between the tool and battery to manage heat charge and drain makita don’t seem to have this right. Used next to Milwaukee or bosch you will see the poorer run times,however there range of tools is big there back up is very good,and if you don’t have  Any other makes to compare are perfectly good to use

54 minutes ago, sime42 said:

Glad to see Erbauer getting a mention. Well worth considering in my opinion. I've had various of their tools over the years, cordless and corded. They've all been great, very hardworking and long lasting. Can't fault them for the price, real value for money.

The last couple of years I've decided to upgrade to Makita tools, got a couple of drill and impact drivers now. Not at all sure that I'm getting the same value for money as Erbauer though.

I have an Erbauer monster rotary stop corded drill . Its SDS plus and has been faultless . Had it for 10 years or more . Comes with chisels and drill bits grease and a normal chuck if you want . Suppose its a bit like your biggest big saw so doesn't get a lot of use . 

Edited by Stubby

Not lime mortar, on a house that looks pretty aged?

Neat job, looks a pain to do!

It’s all either dressed granite on one side, and a mix of granite and hard dressed stones on the other side and zero soft sandstone. There was up to 3 coats of cement harl to remove to begin with. The lime underneath was shot and crumbled too easily. I did consider lime but in the end felt it needed a deep pointing and quite a bit of structural work with some 3 hundred weight stones and cracked lintels being replaced. Cement provided a quicker bond.The other four sides had already been cement pointed prior to us buying so I wasn’t too bothered about being fanatical about lime. I’ll be doing the farm Steadings in lime when I get a chance.

The sides previously pointed in cement have no apparent damp issues either, which was another reason to continue with the cement.IMG_1634491817.991354.jpg

• Like 5