Help identifying my wood burning stove and lining?

Hi all,

Brand new to the forum, hope this is the right place to post.

The property I've just moved into has an old wood burner in it. We attempted to have the chimney swept but the sweeper had to abort as they could not gain access. There is an access hatch on the right but the pipe used blocks access to the flue. 

The fireplace has now been condemned as a result so it is currently a decorative piece.  On closer inspection i cannot believe this was not picked up as part of surveying or conveying stage as it is clearly in need of TLC. 

We are planning on installing new SS lining but can anyone identify the following: 

a) the type of lining used and best way to remove. It would appear that the previous owner has installed using cast iron pipes which I have not seen before. Until we remove we cannot ascertain if they have used the pipes all the way up the chimney or whether it stops half way. 

b) identify what make the stove is as I cannot see and ID plate anywhere?

Wood stove (2).jpg

pipe 2.png

Pipe.png

Edited by Cottage1993
spelling

1 hour ago, AHPP said:

Nice gaff. I’d personally just use it and be ready with a wet towel the first few times in case it’s blocked, catches fire etc.

Yeh, difficult one in this day and age but I would take out any baffles in the way and pass the rods and rotary brush up through the stove until they come out the top, if there are no obstructions the chances are an old single skinned sectional flue pipe is still okay.

I imagine setting a proper register plate and fitting a 904 liner (8"/200mm??) will cost a couple of grand plus fitting a cowl.

The thing is it's well out of time limitations for building regulations but no registered sweep is likely to risk passing it off, even with a pressure check.

Just now, openspaceman said:

Yeh, difficult one in this day and age but I would take out any baffles in the way and pass the rods and rotary brush up through the stove until they come out the top, if there are no obstructions the chances are an old single skinned sectional flue pipe is still okay.

Aye. That if he can. Otherwise just try it. It'll either work or it won't.

2 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

I imagine setting a proper register plate and fitting a 904 liner (8"/200mm??) will cost a couple of grand plus fitting a cowl.

The thing is it's well out of time limitations for building regulations but no registered sweep is likely to risk passing it off, even with a pressure check.

It is a difficult one. We are going to have to pull it out I think as there is a layer of soot 3 inches deep sitting on the register plate with no way to access it as the pipe is obstructing access. Plus the plate itself is being held up by wood! 

The wood stove itself is all in order so I am hoping it will be the case of pulling everything out, sweeping the chimney and fixing a new liner. 

access register plate.jpg

• Like 1

Its guess work at this stage but the guy who came to sweep the chimney was of the opinion that the current flue pipe stops halfway up the building.

I wonder if it is worth getting on the roof to look down the chimney. Our one is without the cowl (shock)!

Chimney is really tall so will require some hire equipment to get up there.  

Chimney (2).jpg

6 minutes ago, Cottage1993 said:

Its guess work at this stage but the guy who came to sweep the chimney was of the opinion that the current flue pipe stops halfway up the building.

That wouldn't surprise me and may be the reason soot has fallen and built up on the register plate,

6 minutes ago, Cottage1993 said:

I wonder if it is worth getting on the roof to look down the chimney. Our one is without the cowl (shock)!

Chimney is really tall so will require some hire equipment to get up there.  

Probably , MEWP would be cheapest . I don't have a cowl but do think they are advisable  because with a stove there is negligible airflow when the stove is off to dry out rain and  a mixture of rainwater and sooty deposits is acidic and that percolating through cement is not good, my flue is cement cast in situ.

I would love to have easy access to my chimney as not only would I sweep from there downward but I would also go to some effort to make a DIY electrostatic particulate filter to sit at the chimney top.

The stove is a budget chinese one,  installation looks horrific, almost certainly self installed and not signed off as safe to use.   Been run shutdown for long periods,  probably because its far to powerfull for the room, as a result tars have formed in the flue.  Wooden beam looks to be to close to the flue pipe ( needs minimum 3 times the flue pipe diameter) .

Rip the lot out,  sell the stove on e bay or facebook market place for spares or repair.

Get a registered chimney sweep in to properly sweep the flue and remove the tar deposits if he can.

Then go and see your local independent stove dealer who acts for quality brands,   Charnwood, Heta, Arada, Morso, Esse, Jotul, Contura, Hwam,  there are one or two others.    Avoid budget crap as you wont be able to get parts for it in 10 years.

Bear in mind that we are hugely busy and have been since the end of lockdown 1,  most top flight installers are now booking installations in December and January.  Due to massive shortages of steel and cast iron stove lead times are typically 3 - 6 months and worse with some brands.   As a stove retailer I am having regular forward orders I placed in the spring now coming through on the popular models,  most decent operations will be doing the same.  

Do not order your stove through the web,  you get zero support in the case of a problem and in many cases your warranty period is reduced to the bare legal minimum.

PM me if necessary,  bear in mind people are also panic buying logs so am also busy trying to clear a backlog of deliveries for wood so only tend to get here at this time of night.

Regards

Alycidon,

Edited by Alycidon
  • Like 2