Chainsaw clutch overheating

MJ85

Hi all,

I have an issue with my Husqvarna 440e where after a small amount of use the area around the clutch is overheating, so much so that smoke is coming from behind the clutch cover and when I take that off the clutch drum is super hot to touch.

Is this just a case of changing out the brake brand?

Would anyone possibly be able to shed some light on what's happening here.

Thank you, any help very much appreciated.

Matt

If the brake band is either distorted or broken it can contact the sprocket causing the heat, also if the saw is not oiling properly the chain will start to seize in the bar, this can and will cause the clutch to slip in the drum causing heat from the friction between clutc and drum. If the chain is as blunt as a badgers ass this will also cause clutch slippage.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, spudulike said:

Is there an ISO or BS rating on the bluntness of a badgers arse, does it include the tail or just the arse area in general? 

Badger's arse is a measurement of roughness not bluntness as in rough as a badger's arse. Bluntness is measured in comparison to toenails as in, I've seen sharper toenails.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, neiln said:

I'm voting for the stuffed to the gills with crud like the turkey at Christmas.  Pop the clutch drum off and clean clutch thoroughly, 

The op says he has taken the cover off . If it was rammed I would have thought he would have cleaned it ?

18 hours ago, MJ85 said:

Hi all,

I have an issue with my Husqvarna 440e where after a small amount of use the area around the clutch is overheating, so much so that smoke is coming from behind the clutch cover and when I take that off the clutch drum is super hot to touch.

Is this just a case of changing out the brake brand?

Would anyone possibly be able to shed some light on what's happening here.

Thank you, any help very much appreciated.

Matt

Hi how tight have you got the Chain? also look inside cover as looking at specs it's an outboard/off saw clutch so how does it look inside cover where brake band is?