Ford Ranger Pickup – Any Thoughts?

Gardenequipment

I'm thinking of purchasing or leasing a Ford Ranger pickup truck to tow a stump grinder. I'm looking at the double cab Ford Wildtrack automatic with the eco-213 hp diesel engine. In the past, I have used hardtop Land Rovers and then went on to Discoveries. Can you believe that I've currently been using a Skoda Octavia with 278,000 miles on the clock, I need to replace it with a four-wheel-drive of some sort. The Skoda was originally used as a temporary measure, but proved to be so reliable that I kept using it!

A few questions regarding the Ford Wildtrack; I believe the economy isn't brilliant although with a 10 speed automatic box I'm guessing that should help economy. How secure is the roller shutter and is it waterproof. How do you find Ranger as a tow vehicle?

Any thoughts or experience appreciated.

I have the (2015) older 145 hp Ranger, regularly tow 3.5 tonnes, no problems.

My new 213hp Limited one arrives next month if that answers your question, auto as well but you can change manually with a button for towing.

I didn’t want the Wildtrack because of the plastic stuff round the roll bar makes carrying ladders/polesaw etc problematic.

Dunno about the roller shutter.

Edited by Mick Dempsey
  • Like 1

I have a 2018 wildtrack and it's been brilliant.

Ordered another one but with canopy this time as the roller shutter is terrible. May as well not have it the gear gets so wet. 

Couple of mates have the latest 2.2l biturbo and are getting almost 10% better fuel economy compared to my 3l and that's with all terrains too whereas I have standard tyres. 

I tow most weeks, cattle trailer, timber, digger and it tows very well. 

I actually prefer driving the ranger to the discovery 4. Yes doesn't have the same poke but rides nicer imo. 

• Like 1

Two of my collegues have one. 

Both Auto and 3.2 around 2017-2018.

While only towing occasionly, one fried it's gearbox around 90.000km. The other one blew it's engine last week around 110.000km, daily towing. 

Enough for me to steer away from them. 

• Like 1

I had a 2016 Wildtrak 3.2 manual on long term hire when my l200 was in the garage. Although the engine was bigger than the 2.5 in my l200 I didn’t notice too much of a difference in mpg. For me it had more grunt than my l200 and felt more refined. From what I’ve read the newer 2.0l is better on fuel with the 10 speed auto than the outgoing 3.2l 6 speed. Although we don’t normally by pick ups for their great mpg. I only used it to tow small trailers and get my saws and kits to site.

I had the roller shutter which was handy to store saws and climbing kits on the way to site but I wouldn’t leave anything in there overnight as it’s asking to be lifted. The load bay remained dry in the time I had it but again I would leave anything other than tools and kit on there an expect it to be bone dry. I like the roller shutters as it stops people putting their paws in there when you stop at a petrol station or traffic lights.

I would like a newer l200 but I’m concerned that I’d have issues with after sales as they are pulling out of the UK. I’m currently looking at a Limited version in the 2.0 version and from what I’ve read there is little to separate the engines. I think either one would be suitable for what you’ve outlined.

• Like 1

Have a 2018 3.2 and really like it

Awesome for towing 

Again, prefer it to tow and drive than the disco 4 

The roller shutter on mine has been waterproof for 3 years without an issue 

Only time it's gets a little water in is if I pressure washer it and a bit of water gets in between the shitter and the tailgate 

If they leak then they aren't fitted 100% correctly 

Mine did go to the garage once and they didn't connect the drains properly and it leaked

I plugged them back and absolutely perfect again 

If u want a pickup or a 4x4, you aren't going to get good mpg... Get over it 

I get around 21 but is remapped and runs 32" all terrains 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Not massively  relevant  but I run a 60 plate ranger 145hp... Great motor. No issues with it but do consider changing it every now and again..... 

But when you look at how much you have to put towards a new one I think bugger it. Not worth it

I'd be for a ranger or dmax next

Good luck with what you go for

I have just returned my 70 plate Ranger Limited auto after a year of torment, 18k on the clock. It’s been back the the dealer around 4 times with varying issues which I believe surround the auto box - problems ranging from painfully slow gear selection (hugely problematic when you pull away, or do a lot of backing into drives etc) to the diabolical fuel economy. The truck

comes with a ‘Ford Pass’ app to keep track of this, and returns around 13-16mpg - based on my bank account I have to reason to doubt this. It’s the 2.0L Bi Turbo which simply isn’t up to the job. I know others with 3.2 engine who love theirs and have no problems. They look cool though.