FISA Refresher Training

5thelement

FISA have announced that they will no longer be conducting refresher training from 1st November.

To me, it looks like the start of the end of FISA. I mean, what else do they do apart regurgitate the previous HSE/AFAG guides with a different logo and colour?

3 hours ago, 5thelement said:

FISA have announced that they will no longer be conducting refresher training from 1st November.

To me, it looks like the start of the end of FISA. I mean, what else do they do apart regurgitate the previous HSE/AFAG guides with a different logo and colour?

I have heard they do loads but , mainly taking your money of you for doing FA

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, MattyF said:

After doing the an Arial rescue refresher the other day I was pissed off to find any refresher training could be in house as long as it's recorded ... maybe that's why ??

So if your climbing or using a saw every day this could be classed as your refresher, now that has amazed me, how on earth did some one think of that one, Its been a scam from day one with the refresher courses just keep some people in a job, Last one i did was 2 1/2 yrs ago and i still havent got the certificate yet and its not as if i havent rung and asked for it half a dozen times, there is a very small percentage using saws but a massive percentage driving, why dont we need to re sit our driving test every 5 years ??

17 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

Yes I believe so and it was perpetrated by the bigger industry  moguls with the collusion of the FC  in order to prevent small players challenging the status quo.

But too readily, everyone seems willing to fall into line. Whether that be NPTC tickets, refreshers and or the FISA schedules. 

Whilst NPTC / LANTRA provide an ‘oven ready’ basis for supposed competence there has never been anything that dictates those routes should be taken in preference to other methods. 

Except it appears to have been embraced as the ‘standard’ by which jobs are offered and pay scales determined. 

We’ve only got ourselves to blame perhaps?

1 hour ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

Yes but my main issue is the people who write and put these things in place, what are there expierances with the said equipment probably zero or very little ? 

Its not long since we where chosen as a contractor on site for one of the forest managers to do a accesment with a outside body, a young very attractive lady in her early mid 30s, on this event she was checking that this manager was asking the correct questions to us, now given what he  knew about the machinery which would be very little, like its got 4 wheels and a engine, when it came to saws i just got the feeling she knew a bit and he knew zero, so we asked her a question and she replied she had a CS30/31 saw ticket, so she was asked what are the 10 safety features of a chainsaw and the answer was chain brake and that was it so how can she access someone and charge £450 a day + VAT, ?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

But too readily, everyone seems willing to fall into line.

Well actually some of us didn't initially , and I'm talking well before FISA, but the association was usurped by the wrong people at the top who essentially sold out to the  industry knobs.

• Like 3