Big birch

AHPP

25 minutes ago, TuscanPhil said:

@Rough HewnCan any nice / good / useful etc planks be milled from Silver Birch?  I have a trunk down in my garden (might be rotten by now) that I keep trying to find some time to have a go at milling instead of turning into firewood logs for my consumption.

Spalted birch is really nice, only came across it once. Very fine line between usable and rotten birch. I'd give it a go though, could be well worth it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TuscanPhil said:

@Rough HewnCan any nice / good / useful etc planks be milled from Silver Birch?  I have a trunk down in my garden (might be rotten by now) that I keep trying to find some time to have a go at milling instead of turning into firewood logs for my consumption.

We don't get Birch logs very often (I think because foresters think it is just firewood) but when we do it never disappoints.  Every one I have milled has been gorgeous and the timber when dry sells really well.

• Like 3

It’s a bit plain for my liking, but nice spalted or with figure.
It is a very popular wood however
[emoji106]
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Conor Wright said:

Spalted birch is really nice, only came across it once. Very fine line between usable and rotten birch. I'd give it a go though, could be well worth it.

Had a few pieces recently, only milled it to see how it would turn out, pleased I did in the end and had no trouble shifting the boards and planks that came from it. 

429AE074-642C-4615-9C0D-730487994456.jpeg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 06/10/2021 at 19:55, Dan Maynard said:

I've measured one with a 461, was about one bar length.

Tree was in a conservation area, this one was all over neighbours house so they let us fell it, it's brother in the garden ended up with TPO which I think is unusual for birch.

Not unusual at all mate, TPO's are not species specific, I've seen some scabby old cypress covered by a TPO, they literally were the worst looking trees ever.....yet in another part of the garden their was a mature Douglas Fir that was not TPO'd yet it was the nicer tree by far...