Recent Asian hornet thread , entertaining read

Jack.P

Now outdone the angry hornet bites thread with an encounter with very aggressive wasps/bees today .

I was bitten all over about 20-30 times after interfering with there den but didn’t realise it was a nest by that time though too late , suddenly hundreds came after me and so I ended up pulling top and shoes off which was covered in them and running away down the road to escape  ! They were even biting my feet through shoes which now hurts the most .luckily they couldn’t  get through jeans though or go for eyes ,.it seemed that when a few had bitten they had all got the signal to attack.what to do though when that many come after you?

1 minute ago, Doug Tait said:

Was it wasps or bees, or both? I find lavender oil good for treating a sting, but you do smell like a granny

Not sure exactly what they were .had a nest on the ground in ivy bush feeding on nectar.

ice seems to be working, just lucky didn’t have saw in hand at the time 

4 minutes ago, Jack.P said:

Not sure exactly what they were .had a nest on the ground in ivy bush feeding on nectar.

ice seems to be working, just lucky didn’t have saw in hand at the time 

Sounds like wasps I'd think, have come across a few ground nests lately but they're weak and slow when the sun's not out, and they don't like flying in the turbulence from a brushcutter!

You might be sore but at least you didn't keel over.

8 hours ago, Jack.P said:

Now outdone the angry hornet bites thread with an encounter with very aggressive wasps/bees today .

I was bitten all over about 20-30 times after interfering with there den but didn’t realise it was a nest by that time though too late , suddenly hundreds came after me and so I ended up pulling top and shoes off which was covered in them and running away down the road to escape  ! They were even biting my feet through shoes which now hurts the most .luckily they couldn’t  get through jeans though or go for eyes ,.it seemed that when a few had bitten they had all got the signal to attack.what to do though when that many come after you?

I went through a wasps nest with a strimmer when I was a trainee back in the early 90s. I just thought it was bits of grit hitting me at first so carried on for a bit.  it was the 90s so PPE was shorts and shades.  Visor, that was about it. 

I then saw the wasps and legged it over a fence onto this OAP complex, you know the council bungalow areas. I ended up in the middle of these bungalows wearing just my boxer shorts with about 60 stings.  Caused a bit of a raucous to be fair. 

lie down in the van for an hour and you’ll be fine is what the chargehand said.  I had to go and get the trimmer first though.  🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Jack.P said:

Can’t workout either how they got right into my shoes and stung all over feet.out of everything that still hurts the most .

I drove over a nest in the ground on a zero turn mower once . They got in my hat ( orange husky one ) and stung my swede . I threw the hat away and they all swarmed after it . Went back the next day and cautiously retrieved it .  

Strimmed a wasp nest hole in ground, lucky I realized it after first few stings so legged it, but still got stung about 10  times.Stings Swelled up for about 4 days and I felt rotten.

They chased after me for about 200 metres big swarm of them. Suprised how far they followed from the nest.

Lucky PPE stoped most of them getting me as was covered in them trying to sting me could of being alot worse.

Edited by Stere