Small (4kW max) non-boiler, multi-fuel stove, what's the latest?

In the process of doing up a house for another family member and we'll be putting  a non-boiler stove in to an old fireplace which previously must have had a high output back boiler and grate, but it's been removed and capped off and we'll leave it like that for the foreseeable.

We're not sure yet if they're happy enough to go wood only, if they do then it'll be simple, we'll put in an appropriately sized Burley.

But I've a notion they'll want the option of burning coal and I know you can put a grate in the Burley, but that's sacrilege and I think we'd be better just going bespoke multifuel.

It's a wee room, with a couple of standard sized doors so some heat could be let out, but I reckon 4kw nominal is as big as we'd go, smaller would probably even work. Single lever control as per Burley would be good too and budget is flexible.

I really don't know much about multi-fuels so any recommendations would be very welcome.

I have a small vintage wood burner in my conservatory and bought a small grate (£9.99) from an ironmongers. I used to put the grate in if I wanted to burn coal but I leave it in all the time now even when burning just wood. It works fine. 

Like this but 12" wide 

Fire Grate Cast Iron Single Curved Bow Fronted Fireside Grill Black 14" 16" 18 " | eBay

Edited by Honda

I’ve had a few multi fuel stoves in the past but those designed specifically for burning wood are more efficient (for burning wood) and I would never even consider a multi stove now. The stove you mention seems a very good stove, a customer has just had the next size up to the one your refer to but I think the next size up was only another £50. They look simple to use and very efficient. 

Edited by Vedhoggar
  • Like 2

Burley are great stoves! ... I moved house in January & there is a wee Burley Debdale fitted, it`s a 4kw & about 6 years old I think. It seems very efficient, it also helps that this house is well insulated, compared to the last place which wasn`t, I had a 7 kw Arrow inset multi fuel there & it went through a lot of wood.

I replaced the glass & baffle plate on the Debdale & gave it a paint in the summer & a spruce up & it looks like new now! ... might light it tonight for the first time this Autumn for a bit of cheer! 😃 

• Like 3

On 08/10/2021 at 11:23, coppice cutter said:

Thanks for the reply.

Happily it appears that they're going to be content enough with wood only so Burley it is, probably a Holywell even though it may be a tad bigger than ideal.

Even more happily, a local stockist has them available off the shelf at a cracking price!

Sorted.

DSCF0017.jpg.d2c6c3654234c090e216c683a3a48488.jpg

• Like 1