Jump to content
mattalway

Struggling to find labour? Time to buck up?

Recommended Posts

I use about 20% of what I know how to do, to 95% of my jobs.

 

There is simply so much low hanging fruit in this industry that will never be paid what we like to think we are worth.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Mike Hill said:

I use about 20% of what I know how to do, to 95% of my jobs.

 

There is simply so much low hanging fruit in this industry that will never be paid what we like to think we are worth.

IME, if you have been going long enough and do a good job, you can make good money. I no longer advertise at all, but get offered far more work than I can possible do.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, skyhuck said:

IME, if you have been going long enough and do a good job, you can make good money. I no longer advertise at all, but get offered far more work than I can possible do.

I see your point Dave but I fear you missed mine.

 

If we use your Mog as an example, how many times do you use the diffs locked,low box, four wheel steer,crane trailer , chipper and air horn all on the same job?

 

Compared to just rocking up in 2x4 and blowing chips into the back?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Mike Hill said:

I see your point Dave but I fear you missed mine.

 

If we use your Mog as an example, how many times do you use the diffs locked,low box, four wheel steer,crane trailer , chipper and air horn all on the same job?

 

Compared to just rocking up in 2x4 and blowing chips into the back?

Thing is I charge for it, even if I don't use it.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of my subbies came to me a little while ago and we had a discussion about rates . He has worked for me for over 5 years and it was nice to have an adult discussion about this . This was in his terms based on no rise in five years which is fair enough and not based on the shortage of labour. Fair play to him for a bringing it up . Going to cost me up to another £1500 or so a month across the board . It sounds alot but it has helped me recruit and created a really happy atmosphere . Lads get out what they put in to any company what they put in gives rewards to employer and employees 

Edited by [email protected]
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As regards ground workers, if you decide to pay one good worker more than the rest, sooner or later the others will find out, and you’ll then have more moaning minnies than you can shake a saw at.
My strategy is to employ all good workers and pay them all the same, if they all do the same work with the same qualifications, and to let the free loaders and stand abouts go off back to their gaming consoles.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  •  

  • Featured Adverts

  • Tip site reviews

About

Arbtalk.co.uk is a hub for the arboriculture industry in the UK.  
If you're just starting out and you need business, equipment, tech or training support you're in the right place.  If you've done it, made it, got a van load of oily t-shirts and have decided to give something back by sharing your knowledge or wisdom,  then you're welcome too.
If you would like to contribute to making this industry more effective and safe then welcome.
Just like a living tree, it'll always be a work in progress.
Please have a look around, sign up, share and contribute the best you have.

See you inside.

The Arbtalk Team

Follow us

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.