Struggling to find labour? Time to buck up?

mattalway

2 minutes ago, Mike Hill said:

I use about 20% of what I know how to do, to 95% of my jobs.

There is simply so much low hanging fruit in this industry that will never be paid what we like to think we are worth.

IME, if you have been going long enough and do a good job, you can make good money. I no longer advertise at all, but get offered far more work than I can possible do.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, skyhuck said:

IME, if you have been going long enough and do a good job, you can make good money. I no longer advertise at all, but get offered far more work than I can possible do.

I see your point Dave but I fear you missed mine.

If we use your Mog as an example, how many times do you use the diffs locked,low box, four wheel steer,crane trailer , chipper and air horn all on the same job?

Compared to just rocking up in 2x4 and blowing chips into the back?

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Mike Hill said:

I see your point Dave but I fear you missed mine.

If we use your Mog as an example, how many times do you use the diffs locked,low box, four wheel steer,crane trailer , chipper and air horn all on the same job?

Compared to just rocking up in 2x4 and blowing chips into the back?

Thing is I charge for it, even if I don't use it.

• Like 7

• 4 weeks later...

One of my subbies came to me a little while ago and we had a discussion about rates . He has worked for me for over 5 years and it was nice to have an adult discussion about this . This was in his terms based on no rise in five years which is fair enough and not based on the shortage of labour. Fair play to him for a bringing it up . Going to cost me up to another £1500 or so a month across the board . It sounds alot but it has helped me recruit and created a really happy atmosphere . Lads get out what they put in to any company what they put in gives rewards to employer and employees 

Edited by steve@black
  • Like 6

As regards ground workers, if you decide to pay one good worker more than the rest, sooner or later the others will find out, and you’ll then have more moaning minnies than you can shake a saw at.
My strategy is to employ all good workers and pay them all the same, if they all do the same work with the same qualifications, and to let the free loaders and stand abouts go off back to their gaming consoles.

• Like 2