Struggling to find labour? Time to buck up?

mattalway

Freelance ask for £250 a day but the boss only wants to pay £180 because they are still putting in prices from 10 years ago. 

Industry moves forward as a whole and we start changing prices so that correct wages are paided to employees and employer and hopefully more people will want to start tree work. 

• Like 2

I get where your coming from Treevolution, and agree to a large extent.

Mick makes a very valid point though.

I think it was Retired Climber on here who said his day rate was £384.

If Danny Mac who climbs for me wanted that I’d happily pay him it, because he’s shit hot.

BUT he wouldn’t be in very often.

I could price it in to big complex takedowns ok, but not on day to day stuff.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Mark Bolam said:

I get where your coming from Treevolution, and agree to a large extent.

Mick makes a very valid point though.

I think it was Retired Climber on here who said his day rate was £384.

If Danny Mac who climbs for me wanted that I’d happily pay him it, because he’s shit hot.

BUT he wouldn’t be in very often.

I could price it in to big complex takedowns ok, but not on day to day stuff.

That's only the rate I get directly from homeowners who value what I bring to the table. I've looked after most of their trees for 20 years, and they'd not want to look for anyone else. I'd never be able to charge that as a freelance climber, subbing myself out to other tree firms; I simply couldn't do enough work in a day to make myself worth that in those circumstances. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the clarification RC, appreciated.

I’m in a pretty good position pricing wise, but I feel for the smaller companies trying to feed 6-man crews constantly.

I get on with my local pro competition, and work together now and again, so I’m luckier than most.

Taking down 40’ connies doesn’t really need massively pro performance though, does it?

We take down far more 40’ connies than 90’ pops.

17 hours ago, Canal Navvy said:

If it is only a "bit" more money he is getting he won't be hanging round long 🤔

I remember Aspen Bob commenting that paying good operators a good rate was difficult as they like to boast to the others 😬

My bloke isn’t a machine operator. I am the operator plus a semi retired guy who likes to keep his hand in. 

14 hours ago, treevolution said:

Freelance ask for £250 a day but the boss only wants to pay £180 because they are still putting in prices from 10 years ago. 

Industry moves forward as a whole and we start changing prices so that correct wages are paided to employees and employer and hopefully more people will want to start tree work. 

The last thing we need is more people wanting to start tree work. Part of the problem is that the industry is saturated, both with firms and young lads fresh out of college with tickets. 

Seems like every day I’m on the roads locally I see a tree firms truck that I’ve not seen before. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, doobin said:

The last thing we need is more people wanting to start tree work. Part of the problem is that the industry is saturated, both with firms and young lads fresh out of college with tickets. 

Seems like every day I’m on the roads locally I see a tree firms truck that I’ve not seen before. 

This , certainly around our way . They are like confetti after a wedding . 

Just now, Marc Lewis said:

I remember when I started in the 90's it was quite exciting to see another van towing a chipper, now I see 3 before I get a mile up the road.

On the odd occasion (recently a lot less of course) I come back I’m staggered at the chipper/chip truck combos everywhere.

I sit there wondering how they can all be working!

• Like 2