Struggling to find labour? Time to buck up?

mattalway

subbies run a business and bare their relative costs and guess what, those costs have changed in the last 6 months, let alone the last 10 years. Is it time to stop dictating what you are prepared to pay a sub-contractor and allow them to dictate the price of their service to you as their client as you do your clients?

There isn't a labour shortage, your labour is out there setting up business because the subby you could pay an extra £50pd by passing said cost onto client is now quoting against you. unless something changes I see the race to the bottom commencing very soon, hope you didn't take out too much cheap finance...

• Like 1

Mick, i'm talking from a business point of view and the lack of labour avalible. £50 added onto a quote isn't a big deal, an extra 50 in a subbies pocket is, meanwhile the subbie sets up and detriment takes effect. But to be honest I do both, I sub to my pals and do my own stuff, so... both sides of the coin 

• Like 2

Of course, it’s supply and demand, there’s a shortage of experienced, competent staff, so naturally the price is going to go up.

If you’re saying (in a theoretical way) ‘give us more money or we’ll set up on our own’

well, go on then, don’t hold people to ransom, paddle your own canoe, pay your subbies the extra that others won’t and clean up.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Of course, it’s supply and demand, there’s a shortage of experienced, competent staff, so naturally the price is going to go up.

If you’re saying (in a theoretical way) ‘give us more money or we’ll set up on our own’

well, go on then, don’t hold people to ransom, paddle your own canoe, pay your subbies the extra that others won’t and clean up.

no ransom, simply an observation, leading to a theory and opening a discussion. 

45 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

So when he sets up thats another company struggling for staff, Dont quite add up to me ??

• Like 1