Advise on 1st Chainsaw for home use

Steven1210

2 minutes ago, Rough Hewn said:

Back in Brighton about 6? Years ago,
There was a lad selling used power tools in a unit opposite.
He brought over a 361 one day and asked if it was any good.
When I pulled the starter cord the chain started moving, without the engine starting.
Interesting I thought, so took off the side cover, bar and chain. When I pulled the starter cord the whole clutch housing rolled around, and not the way it should do.
The bar and chain were toasted with burnt crap.
Presumed over heated chain with repeated over tensioning then left to go cold.
Can’t see any other way that could have happened.

That's an assumption .  Could have been the usual Stihl oval crank shaft/clutch bearing syndrome that is well documented . 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Rough Hewn said:

Back in Brighton about 6? Years ago,
There was a lad selling used power tools in a unit opposite.
He brought over a 361 one day and asked if it was any good.
When I pulled the starter cord the chain started moving, without the engine starting.
Interesting I thought, so took off the side cover, bar and chain. When I pulled the starter cord the whole clutch housing rolled around, and not the way it should do.
The bar and chain were toasted with burnt crap.
Presumed over heated chain with repeated over tensioning then left to go cold.
Can’t see any other way that could have happened.

Sorry but i just cant see it being the reason,i had to go to my mates this afternoon to pick up something and he worked for a local saw shop for 20 years and mentioned it to him out of interest and he laughed and said no chance

• Like 4

1 minute ago, gary112 said:

Sorry but i just cant see it being the reason,i had to go to my mates this afternoon to pick up something and he worked for a local saw shop for 20 years and mentioned it to him out of interest and he laughed and said no chance

What ! there is no tooth fairy ?

• Like 1

Good evening folks, yeah, a bit to read over the last few hours😆

Ok, so had the 135 out today, jesus christ, it certainly went through some logs easily, mind you, is brand new! 

Got to grips with the bar assembly/chain tension, a friend of mine checked it over for me, although he is no expert, just does a bit of fire wood like I plan to. 

Got it home, cleaned bar, and took the chain cover off and brushed out any dust/sawdust and put back in the shed.

I reckon the 120 would have been enough for my needs.

Thanks for all the advice so far guys.

Steve

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, Steven1210 said:

Ok, so had the 135 out today, jesus christ, it certainly went through some logs easily, mind you, is brand new! 

Got to grips with the bar assembly/chain tension, a friend of mine checked it over for me, although he is no expert, just does a bit of fire wood like I plan to. 

Got it home, cleaned bar, and took the chain cover off and brushed out any dust/sawdust and put back in the shed.

Steve

It will go through a bit quicker when its not so brand new and when the chain is sharpened  back about half way .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Steven1210 said:

Steve

Glad you got on ok and liked the saw👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good evening folks, yeah, a bit to read over the last few hours[emoji38]

Steve

I’ve been out today with a fellow arbtalker cutting, saws covered in sawdust and shite cos it started raining on us too! Will clean saws off tomoz and blow everything out/clean with my little compressor, run a file over chain etc, dont like putting em away dirty (cos i’m a fanny dont ya know! [emoji6][emoji2]) good on ya for cleaning after use, its good practice in my mind and you see what/if anythings going on/wrong. Enjoy your cutting, be safe! [emoji106]
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1