Advise on 1st Chainsaw for home use

Steven1210

I rub some oil right round the whole bar when i fit a new one, drip some in the nose for the sprocket to get a head start with it all, maintenance is my day job so its just how i think. But i have been called a fanny before now, on more than one occasion! [emoji2]

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

20 minutes ago, Ratman said:

I rub some oil right round the whole bar when i fit a new one, drip some in the nose for the sprocket to get a head start with it all, maintenance is my day job so its just how i think. But i have been called a fanny before now, on more than one occasion! emoji2.png

I'm all for a bit of mechanical sympathy, but telling the OP he MUST, loosen the chain or he will bend the crank is firmly in fanny territory. I doubt if the OP will ever even need to buy a new bar, never mind bend the crank. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Ratman said:

I rub some oil right round the whole bar when i fit a new one, drip some in the nose for the sprocket to get a head start with it all, maintenance is my day job so its just how i think. But i have been called a fanny before now, on more than one occasion! emoji2.png

Yeah ya great fanny🤣🤣

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Rough Hewn said:

A new chain will stretch.
A hot chain will stretch more.
A cold chain contracts.
I’ve had a 361 shown to me with the whole clutch mechanism doing loops.
People who are new to saws often have difficulty tensioning chains.
emoji106.png

We know all of that. None of it makes your statement about having to loosen a chain true though does it. 

Ps. I've deliberately ignored the parts of your posts that are wrong, in the interests of avoiding a semantic argument which won't help the OP. 

@Rough Hewn

Why dont you ask @STIHL GB how they go about avoiding bent crankshafts via chain contraction?

While your on the phone to them also ask them what ratio coolent to water they reccomend and wether its best to push start a chainsaw or use jumper leads if someone left the lightson in the clutch cover.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Retired Climber said:

I get that it's different for milling, but we aren't talking about milling, we are talking about a bloke cutting up a few bits and pieces for firewood. If he's new to the world of saws he'll be spending more time moving stuff than cutting, and I really can't see the saw working that hard (or hot). 

The only reason I mentioned milling is that RH does a lot of milling and I don't . I still think its bollox though .

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Stubby said:

The only reason I mentioned milling is that RH does a lot of milling and I don't . I still think its bollox though .

Yep, understood. I'm not for one second pretending I know more about milling than RH (I don't). I don't think his suggestions are useful for the OP though. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Rough Hewn said:

The other thing a stretched chain will do is snap. Not fun.(often with bad filing too).
emoji106.png

Good God Man!

When you are in a hole, stop digging!

If you over tension a chain the threads on the tensioner will strip.

ie: attempt to tighten a chain before slackening the bar nuts. Suggesting you will bend the crank is nonsense via shrinking when cold.

Chains snap for a number of reasons, big bars need the side plates hanging off the bottom of the bar slightly or you rob the powerhead fighting friction spinning the chain

• Like 4