Advise on 1st Chainsaw for home use

Steven1210

5 minutes ago, carlos said:

i have used a lidl saw once, was ok, bit plasticky but i ithink when you take it to be repaired they may not be able to get the parts for it, plus they often put too bigger bar on their saws so by the time you have bought a shorter bar and better chain you would be better of getting one of the small stihl or husky saws people have mentioned.

i think going second hand is ok if you know about saws and engines but if you dont, go new at least you have a bit of warranty for piece of mind. 

You probably tried the previous gen Florabest saw, clamshell build. They were supposedly rubbish, seen plenty of non runners cluttering up people's sheds. The new ones are all metal body, 55cc 18" bar. Bar and chain alone is worth 40-50 quid... Agree about getting work done on them etc, forget it. Not financially viable anyway, even assuming parts could be got. Things like replacement air filters are available though, and probably enough of them lying in parts piles to scavenge clutch covers, fuel caps, carbs etc.

15 minutes ago, Haironyourchest said:

Yeah, some are garbage. The Lidl ones are ok. As long as the chainbreak works and the chain tensioner works, that's as safe as any saw can be (and fuel cap doesn't leak, obviously). 

Where casual users go wrong is maintenance. You got to use Aspen or good fresh petrol and really good 2-stroke oil (HP Ultra). Clean out the clutch area after use. Emty tank and idle the carb dry after use. Know how to clean air filter without letting crap fall in the carb intake. Learn to tention chain properly, file chain properly, etc etc etc. There's so much more to keeping a saw in running order than a strimmer or similar.

Thank you for the info.

With the multi tool i let it run dry on tickover once finished and use a 25/1 mix.

Just read up on aspen,  my multi tool is 25/1, leaf blower is 40/1 or is it mainly the chainsaw that you would advise on for aspen?  I usually add a fuel preserver to super unleaded for the tools (lawn mower, multi tool, blower)

Air filter and carb-check. 

Chain file-check (have seen some tools to help with this)

I use the sthil oil for blower and multi tool.

10 minutes ago, Steven1210 said:

Thank you for the info.

With the multi tool i let it run dry on tickover once finished and use a 25/1 mix.

Just read up on aspen,  my multi tool is 25/1, leaf blower is 40/1 or is it mainly the chainsaw that you would advise on for aspen?  I usually add a fuel preserver to super unleaded for the tools (lawn mower, multi tool, blower)

Air filter and carb-check. 

Chain file-check (have seen some tools to help with this)

I use the sthil oil for blower and multi tool.

Well, sounds like you're all good on the maintenance front 👍 Aspen is good for machines that sit idle in the shed for long periods but are needed at a moments notice for small jobs. You can leave it in, no need to drain or run dry, just shake the tool to disperse the included (colourless) oil. 

If you already have a saw attachment for your combi system why not just use that? You can buck logs with it, if you're only doing a few, from time to time. Safer. Less stooping as well.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Haironyourchest said:

Well, sounds like you're all good on the maintenance front 👍 Aspen is good for machines that sit idle in the shed for long periods but are needed at a moments notice for small jobs. You can leave it in, no need to drain or run dry, just shake the tool to disperse the included (colourless) oil. 

If you already have a saw attachment for your combi system why not just use that? You can buck logs with it, if you're only doing a few, from time to time. Safer. Less stooping as well.

The saw on the multi tool is pretty poor quality (the chains are £5) and with the angle/reach its pretty uncomfortable to use.  For high up 3m branches its pretty handy.  The woods where we take the dogs have quite a few fallen trees, and some that may soon fall😁

Just googled bucking.......its not what i thought it was🤣

6 hours ago, Steven1210 said:

The saw on the multi tool is pretty poor quality (the chains are £5) and with the angle/reach its pretty uncomfortable to use.  For high up 3m branches its pretty handy.  The woods where we take the dogs have quite a few fallen trees, and some that may soon fall😁

Is it your woods then? Might be best off with the silky handsaw and a balaclava if not.......?

• Like 1