Business Start up Advise please.

Lumberjock

Just now, Mr. Squirrel said:

To my mind, if you can’t climb and have no intention of climbing I’d just stop right there.

I would have intentions to climb if the start up was to start a tree surgery company. But the idea was to hire my services as man,van and chipper. 
it looks like it’s a non starter tbh
thanks for advise. 

• Like 1

There is no reason why you couldn't invest in the kit, truck, chipper etc.. start up a tree business and employ a climber. I would suggest you would want at least to have a rescue ticket. Then you could get in a free lance climber or employ one.

It's not the route most take, but not sure the route most take is the best route..  

Another option would be to go into business with a partner. When we started Canopy my business partner was a similar age to you, he had done little in the way of arb and had only done his basic tickets. I had the ARB knowledge and did most of the climbing. 

Not sure I would recommend it. I am sure there are easier ways to make a living. I have been in business nearly 18 years and it's not getting any easier..

• Like 2

two routes,
Get to know some subby climbers, and start your own business, booking climbers in as necessary, plenty of hedging, small tree prunes etc you can do alone to fill days.
Buy a piece of plant, be it a digger - broad range of uses esp with a grab
. stump grinder, Avant etc and hire yourself out.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Dbikeguy said:

two routes,
Get to know some subby climbers, and start your own business, booking climbers in as necessary, plenty of hedging, small tree prunes etc you can do alone to fill days.
Buy a piece of plant, be it a digger - broad range of uses esp with a grab
. stump grinder, Avant etc and hire yourself out.

Appreciate your input. Thanks 

13 hours ago, Gardenscape said:

Problem is if you haven't climbed then it makes pricing tree jobs a lot more difficult as you have no idea how long it should take because you don't have the experience.

To an extent, but if you have experience of seeing good climbers work and have observed their work rate on different trees / in different circumstances, then you should still be able to price jobs accurately enough.

• Like 1