£15/hour

eggsarascal

9 hours ago, spuddog0507 said:

Back in the yard i pay lads £10 a IBC cage for splitting firewood one lad will do 2 + cages an hour and the other lad ( if he turns up ) when he gets there he just wants to arse about on his phone and struggles to do one an hour, he then complains that he has worked hard and he only got £40 for the day !! and the other lad gets £140, should i subsidise him the other £100 ? and me loose out NO he will just have to learn that in life you sometimes have to put some effort in to get the reward !! Some people will never understand how things work with in business, and the older i get the more i think some of the younger lads are just not worth entertaining,

The minimum wage laws say you must top up the wastrels pay to minimum wage. Of course you won't so you sack the guy if it comes to it, now instead of the £40 he has nothing.

This is one of the faults of a minimum wage system, it makes an extra section of society unemployable. The section that won't even try to get the £40 are already unemployable or work for the government.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, doobin said:

You're all missing the elephant in the room. The cost of shelter is too high.

Anyone on minimum wage can afford to eat. Few if any can afford to live anywhere without a government subsidy.

And this is where you and most others are missing the elephant, it's not Government money. It's our money that businesses are taking off us by not paying a proper living wage.

Edited by eggsarascal
  • Like 1

How about big goverment project of  mobile modular kit "council" homes.

Modern eco insulated ones mass produced and modular design so can be linked together.

Goverment save big  long term as not paying out so much housing benefit to private landlords.

Houses can be moved to where needed.

So basically trailer parks 😏

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mark Bolam said:

The problem is if you pay £15/hr at the bottom end, it spirals upwards pretty quickly, and the system crashes.

Eggs may well have cause to roll his eyes, but that comment reminds me of the various  Unions back in the 1970's each essentially competing to have their members earning the most, each in turn.

And it was never enough. .  .   

With the ensuing inflation.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, difflock said:

Eggs may well have cause to roll his eyes, but that comment reminds me of the various  Unions back in the 1970's each essentially competing to have their members earning the most, each in turn.

And it was never enough. .  .   

With the ensuing inflation.

It's not to do with me rolling my eyes or disagreeing, I realise everyone shouldn't be paid £15/hour. Where does it stop mind? I pay you £8.91/hour, you claim UC to top up your wages. Who's doing the topping up... did I hear someone say, "the rest of us"?

How is it right that big businesses turn millions in profit while the rest of us supplement their payroll.

• Like 7

Minimum wage and rent costs are two different things in my opinion. I don’t really see a minimum wage job as a job that you can live on and support yourself or a family. It suits students studying to get an education or a supplementary wage as a second income for a family. These wages should never be topped up. The market dictates the wages as we’re seeing now with field workers and HGV drivers.

3 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

Minimum wage and rent costs are two different things in my opinion. I don’t really see a minimum wage job as a job that you can live on and support yourself or a family. It suits students studying to get an education or a supplementary wage as a second income for a family. These wages should never be topped up. The market dictates the wages as we’re seeing now with field workers and HGV drivers.

Yes, but let's not pretend this is all due to Brexit, it's been coming for many years. I've done it like many here have done it, paid subbies £150-£200/day when the job COULD pay much more. Is levelling up happening?

47 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

Yes, but let's not pretend this is all due to Brexit, it's been coming for many years. I've done it like many here have done it, paid subbies £150-£200/day when the job COULD pay much more. Is levelling up happening?

£200 a day is plenty for a subby, who takes none of the risk of quoting or being the main contractor with whom the buck stops. It's also miles away from minimum wage, (the original topic), and on top of that reads like a humble brag. You won't out-ball trigger andy, one-upmanship is his life's work.

• Like 2