£15/hour

eggsarascal

9 minutes ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

Crazy! All the transshipment and processing costs and it is still sold for pennies. 

Simply must be scale and slave labour. 

Yup. Brilliant series shows how and why. Six spoiled Brits work sweatshop jobs in Asia. This was the tuna one. Other episodes they work on a prawn farm, plant rice, sew blouses etc. The only one who could really hack the pressure was a young farmer guy. Enjoyed gutting fish with the lads in a slum shack over a sewer in Bancock so much he stayed the night and worked another shift the next day! All for a pound, or something...

Edited by Haironyourchest

Don’t you think that by selling the house to what is most likely a home owner and not renting it out you removed one house from the rental stock making the problem that wee bit worse? 
Depends which problem you are talking about I guess. I'm not talking about a lack of rentals. I'm talking about over inflated house prices. People owning houses they don't live in takes houses out of the housing market and inflates house prices. People owning many houses they don't live in is just rude.

Just now, muttley9050 said:
1 hour ago, trigger_andy said:
Don’t you think that by selling the house to what is most likely a home owner and not renting it out you removed one house from the rental stock making the problem that wee bit worse? 

Depends which problem you are talking about I guess. I'm not talking about a lack of rentals. I'm talking about over inflated house prices. People owning houses they don't live in takes houses out of the housing market and inflates house prices. People owning many houses they don't live in is just rude.

What percentage below market value did you sell your property for? 

• Like 1

On 01/10/2021 at 09:49, eggsarascal said:

If £15/hour is out of the way for a lot of people why is it acceptable that a house share (around here) costs £450-£600/month.

Not that I'm saying either is right or wrong, just curious.

It was a slow starter E🍳🍳er, but it’s covered some ground today 😂

Tinned peaches to rice paddies, hippy commune to the new world order!

This could be the next generation of Dempsey’s “Making the News” unstoppable thread 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

It was a slow starter E🍳🍳er, but it’s covered some ground today 😂

Tinned peaches to rice paddies, hippy commune to the new world order!

This could be the next generation of Dempsey’s “Making the News” unstoppable thread 😂

I was only asking like. Anyway it's break time so I'm in the van eating soup.

On 04/10/2021 at 18:22, trigger_andy said:

So as Im interested I asked. :) 

Im not entirely new to hippy communes my old man moved in those kinds of circles and had friends up in Findhorn but my mum banned me from ever going up to visit. That really peeved me off when Mike Scott from the Waterboys lived there and some of my old mans hippy buddys invited us up. Was still a no from my Mum. :D 

A mate of mine is doing a PhD in attachment theory. The above comment explains fully why you're so at odds with the world. I hope you get yourself sorted, I wouldn't be happy carrying that baggage around.

I do get the point you where making. But in my mind you're forced into this service for a community. You have to do it as a part of your rent. Its not for you and your family, its for you and your family and what seems like 7-9 other family units. All the while some old guy brings you cake and a cup of tea as apart of his two days a week forced labour. 

Out of interest if you go on holiday for a few weeks do you still 'owe' two days a week for the missed weeks or as you're on holiday thats seen as a complete break away from the commune? 

Again views that you are making based on your assumptions of how things are and not how they actually are. Me cutting firewood to keep my self warm is forced labour(Im not sure who you think is able to force me into anything). You cutting firewood is just a hobby that helps keeps your cost low.

Maybe your sad because no one brings you cake while you are doing it.

No you don't owe hours. Like I have said many times already nobody is counting hours. You do what NEEDS doing WHEN your are able to do it. Same as you. Don't forget that whilst some of the logs I chop may get used by other people, i also use some of the logs they chop. Whilst the “old guy " who brings me tea may not g free chipping his own logs, he is a very talented musician and a professional music teacher and has taught my kids music etc etc.

The two day a week thing is a guide, something that is written on a website as an easy way to try to explain to people(didn't really work with you) that we put effort in to help ourselves and each other, keep our costs low and try to be slightly more sustainable.

The way you describe your lifestyle is you are not spending 2 days a week on keeping house, maintaining house, tending land, land projects, cooking, food shopping, growing crops, processing crops, cleaning etc etc then id be surprised.

If you had an elderly neighbour who needed support would you not help if you could? Working communally and looking out for your community is how things used to work. The newer I'm alright Jack mentality and not knowing your local community other than a cursory nod if you pass in the street is not my ideal and does nothing for many of the issues in todays society.

• Like 9

22 hours ago, Stere said:

How about this idea not saying its right just putting it up as a counter point of view

EN.WIKIPEDIA.ORG

There's a difference between bullshit jobs and what would be described as 'key worker' jobs. What I do is valuable, but nobody is going to starve if I can't do it for a month. 

3 hours ago, muttley9050 said:

Again views that you are making based on your assumptions of how things are and not how they actually are. Me cutting firewood to keep my self warm is forced labour(Im not sure who you think is able to force me into anything). You cutting firewood is just a hobby that helps keeps your cost low.

Maybe your sad because no one brings you cake while you are doing it.

No you don't owe hours. Like I have said many times already nobody is counting hours. You do what NEEDS doing WHEN your are able to do it. Same as you. Don't forget that whilst some of the logs I chop may get used by other people, i also use some of the logs they chop. Whilst the “old guy " who brings me tea may not g free chipping his own logs, he is a very talented musician and a professional music teacher and has taught my kids music etc etc.

The two day a week thing is a guide, something that is written on a website as an easy way to try to explain to people(didn't really work with you) that we put effort in to help ourselves and each other, keep our costs low and try to be slightly more sustainable.

The way you describe your lifestyle is you are not spending 2 days a week on keeping house, maintaining house, tending land, land projects, cooking, food shopping, growing crops, processing crops, cleaning etc etc then id be surprised.

I’m trying to base my views on what you’re telling me and from reading blogs of past members on the internet. 

Im cutting my firewood for my own personal use. Although I’m always happy to help folk out I’m not cutting firewood for a whole community who (I’ll assume) can take as much or as little as they feel like for their own personal use. Some who, as you mentioned, pay that time and efforts back with a cup of tea and a bit of cake. If that lifestyle works for you then great. But I dispise communism so my views will always be tainted by that I guess?

I get cake, coffee and pies brought to me. 🤣

I know you think you’re not being forced into your labour for the commune but you yourself said the entry requirements are very strict to ensure those who are allowed in tow the line. Since your two days a week labour is apart of your rent I wonder for how long you’d get away with not doing your forced labour before you’re turfed out?

When I’m home I’ve outside working virtually every day. I feel the difference here is I’m bettering my own property for my own enjoyment. Potentially this is where I’ll retire I’m putting the backbone of the work in now and whilst I enjoy this work very much I’ll be able to enjoy the fruits of my labour when I retire. You on the other hand have to walk away with nothing. And that for me is the crux of why I hate renting. All you’re doing is bettering someone else’s property.