£15/hour

eggsarascal

Im so glad we added a Wood Burning Oven in the kitchen and a 280 liter hot water cylinder. Hot water 24/7 and it costs me nothing.  

Interestingly I see a Miller up North is selling 1.5t of Larch Backs for £100. I easily go through a cube a week just now. Would be crippling having to pay for that myself. Id have to stop swanning around the house in my boxers. 
I was beginning to like you but no avocado on toast. Get real 🤣
  • Haha 4

You’re quite correct. It does cost me my time. But looking at the numbers it’s certainly worth it. Perhaps I should have said the wood costs me nothing.

50 cubes at current local market prices is £5000. It takes me a comfortable 10 days to have that bagged up. After tax I’m not gonna make that kind of money unless I’m working 10 days over time off-shore. So nicer to do a hobby that I like and be home all day long working with my family. Plus I have to deal with the wood either way. I don’t really count a hobby as taking time away from work either.
Exactly the point I was making to you.
  • Like 1

Muttley's setup sounds pretty cool. I've always thought that a big house split between a few families could provide a much better standard of living for less cost than the norm, so long as it wasn't too 'culty'. Economies of scale really kick in when you get into double digit bedroms! Sounds like there is ample room for personal enterprise too.

I've lived in house shares in the country and if you have the right people it's great. Perhaps there are not too many older people because they buy their own place with the money they save?

Muttley, are any of your members also renting their own houses out, or is that against the ethos?
Yeah some do. I did for a few years but didn't like being a landlord so sold it.
  • Like 2

Just now, muttley9050 said:
1 hour ago, trigger_andy said:
You’re quite correct. It does cost me my time. But looking at the numbers it’s certainly worth it. Perhaps I should have said the wood costs me nothing.

50 cubes at current local market prices is £5000. It takes me a comfortable 10 days to have that bagged up. After tax I’m not gonna make that kind of money unless I’m working 10 days over time off-shore. So nicer to do a hobby that I like and be home all day long working with my family. Plus I have to deal with the wood either way. I don’t really count a hobby as taking time away from work either.

Read more  

Exactly the point I was making to you.

I do get the point you where making. But in my mind you're forced into this service for a community. You have to do it as a part of your rent. Its not for you and your family, its for you and your family and what seems like 7-9 other family units. All the while some old guy brings you cake and a cup of tea as apart of his two days a week forced labour. 

Out of interest if you go on holiday for a few weeks do you still 'owe' two days a week for the missed weeks or as you're on holiday thats seen as a complete break away from the commune? 

This to me shows how cheap food, fuel and virtual slave labour is around the world. Thats about 50p worth in the picture. 

pears.JPG.46a1bd88cbc82d16416f906623c6381f.JPG
Crazy world. Could never figure that out.
I read somewhere a few years ago that we manufacture enough toilet roll to be self sufficient. We then export 50% of it and import it from somewhere else.