Big milling chains

Rough Hewn

Im amazed you guys don't buy a reel and make make your own up when they are that long.
I run 190 drive link 27rx and you only get 7 from a reel.
Way cheaper.

My ng4&5 are sitting next to a roll of .404 in a van in France. I’m not buying another set!
🤣[emoji106]
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, muttley9050 said:

Im amazed you guys don't buy a reel and make make your own up when they are that long.
I run 190 drive link 27rx and you only get 7 from a reel.
Way cheaper.

I am considering just getting a roll. Since Ive no long bought a 60" Panther set up it included the 64" Bar and 2 chains. One was the Oregon skip and the other the hyper skip. Personally Im not that blown away by them and since I liked the Stihl Ripping Chains on my 48" Chilaskan I've just bought the Stihl Chain in the pic above to try out on the 64" Bar. I'll then be able to make a better comparison out of the three chains and see what works best for me and also different species. Then I might buy a roll of that. But til then I'll suck it and see. 

Im gonna be re-sawing some very dry Ash Slabs from 6" and cutting in half to get as close to 2 x 2.5" boards out of them for some kitchen worktops. Ive a feeling the Oregon Chains, most likely the Hyper Skip will be best here, will just be a hell of a lot of sharpening. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, trigger_andy said:

I am considering just getting a roll. Since Ive no long bought a 60" Panther set up it included the 64" Bar and 2 chains. One was the Oregon skip and the other the hyper skip. Personally Im not that blown away by them and since I liked the Stihl Ripping Chains on my 48" Chilaskan I've just bought the Stihl Chain in the pic above to try out on the 64" Bar. I'll then be able to make a better comparison out of the three chains and see what works best for me and also different species. Then I might buy a roll of that. But til then I'll suck it and see. 

Im gonna be re-sawing some very dry Ash Slabs from 6" and cutting in half to get as close to 2 x 2.5" boards out of them for some kitchen worktops. Ive a feeling the Oregon Chains, most likely the Hyper Skip will be best here, will just be a hell of a lot of sharpening. 

I'll keep an eye out for your review.

I though the hyper was going to be less teeth to sharpen? Or that is what I got from Sauls vid. Made me want to get a skip for my Chilaskan 👍

• Like 1

Resawing seasoned ash is a bandsaw job.
Chains don’t like hard ash.

Hyper skip is really easy and quick to sharpen as there isn’t many teeth.
[emoji106]

On a wide cut half the issue is dragging saw dust from one side of the cut to the other. The hyper skip makes this much easier.

I've tested out different chains on big bars and always go skip or hyper skip.

Saying that I have now sold my larger chain saw Mills and unless the tree is under 2ft I just use the lucas, I cut an awful lot more dimensional timber than slabs though.

I still have 3 051s and a 2ft alaskan. If im Milling on the 2ft I use full complinent but if im cross cutting and have the 30" bar buried in say a 4ft oak, I still prefer skip chain.

Can't imagine full compliment being much fun on a 60" bar. What saw you using?

• Like 1