Total time taken for breaks in a days work

Floclimber

I work on my own most days, starting between 7 and 8 normally,  20-30 minutes at 10-10-30ish, 30 minutes between 1 and 2, maybe 10 minutes around 4 if I'm crrying on late. 

Normally I'll do about 9-10hrs a day, but I'll do whatever works best- Monday i only did about 5 hours, all in the yard, not on site, yesterday, I did 7.30 till 4 putting up a fence, then 4.30 till 6.30 loading up the digger and ringing up logs. Today I was in a workshop 30 minutes away working on the digger from 6- 1, put the digger away, finished a fence, back to the yard for 4, then 3 hours sat comfortably in the big tractor flail mowing a field. You can't beat a bit of Variety! 

• Like 1

If I’m on a daily rate on site, usually I’m 9.30am for 15 mins, 12pm for 30 mins and a 3pm quick coffee and cake.  If My own jobs then whenever  I want, depending on mood, hunger, location.  I’m a believer in an army marches on its stomach, years ago when I had a bit of a squad it was always meet in the cafe, full breaky for everyone, let the traffic do its thing then get to site and hit the ground running and just charge on until it was done and then job and finish, if customer is offering coffee and biscuits, take it all day long, unless I’m up the tree.😂

domestic jobs should be a good graft and a laugh, you are working in a part of someone’s home and depending on the customer, especially if they are older then I always treat it as if I’m working at a grandparents house, best behaviour when they are looking and super polite at tea breaks but when they are not looking it’s a laugh and if there is that element of mischief through out the workers then it makes it such a better day.  The more a customer feeds us the better the deal they get.  I’ve done a £200 conny for a wee lady next door for some bacon rolls and bit of home baking.  
  In the last 23 years of doing this job, all the stories between old workers and mates is about the customer, never how big the tree was.  

• Like 6

Used to work 8am till 4pm with 2 breaks (30min) at 10/10:30 ish and 1ish  tho could take earlier if needed ....  This worked really well for me and could maintain consistency in energy and work flow ....

Went and worked doing marquees - 7am start till finish (could be 5 or later 7pm +) only 20min break in a day as that's what the "law" states is minimum requirement ... For me that didn't work as my body was requiring more food , so had to eat on the fly when moments allowed....

Worked before doing 2 tanks n 5min breather , then a break at lunch then carry on 2 tanks n 5min ... Prefer 2 breaks at 30min as keeping food going in is what makes the difference imo

• Like 1