Total time taken for breaks in a days work

Floclimber

On 03/10/2021 at 11:51, Haironyourchest said:

Amazon has a productivity monitoring system which combines wearable tech and cameras to assess their employees body movement.

A.I can tell if the workers are scratching their arses too much.

The day will come when this tech can be applied to any jobsite... Satellite surveillance, wrist and ankle trackers, a central site sensor up in a tree etc. Algorithms will be developed for different trades and jobs. Select "conifer hedge (dimensions)" from the drop down menu, number of men, distance to chipper etc... 

Quite appropriate perhaps in a large organisation where people of different abilities / skill / motivation would apply. The more people on the workforce the more likely there is to be a requirement for standardisation and, using your amaz on example, a natural extension of the production line efficiencies of LEAN principles. 

The larger the workforce, the greater the likelihood that ‘someone’ will take the piss - be that thieving, loafing or dicking around which leads to discontent across the whole. 

In a smaller team natural group cohesion and understanding of each other’s ability / needs keeps things sane. 

12 hours ago, Joe Newton said:

I've got a needy 2 year old and an annoying Mrs so sometimes I don't want to finish early. 

I have a needy 5 year old and an annoying Mrs! But it's all good and I've settled into family life a lot better these days.

At our work people pretty much take breaks when they feel like it - it's not treework so i don't think you can draw too many parallels. Prob as said there are no rights or wrongs - just what works for you and who you are working with.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 02/10/2021 at 22:58, gdh said:

Depends on the job, I don't like to do more than 8 hours on a saw but if it's on a tractor 10 hours plus is fine (and on the farming side of the business the only way). 

Working long hours isn't for everyone but if it's not too physically difficult and you enjoy the job it's no different to working 8 hours then going for a drive/to the gym after. Except you get paid. 😉

Using my little tractor and timber trailer i love it and when i get on that its get me off it if you can, i have spent many 10,12,14,16 hr days on that tractor, NO drugs just a butty box and 2 flasks but when we have a couple of hundred tonnes of timber down and the going is good but the weather forecast for the wk after is crap its a race against time, I have gone on site at 8am and not left till 2am more than once as if i had not done it the timber would of been sat there for another 3 months but it was extracted on a wagon down the rd and money in the bank, put a bit of effort in and you will be rewarded, simple,

20180919_161258 (1).jpg

Edited by spuddog0507
spelling
  • Like 3

On 03/10/2021 at 11:33, carlos said:

so if someone works longer than you its BS or else they weren't really working properly!! 

oh and in 25yrs you have never met a better worker than yourself??!!!

kinda setting the bar high aren't you ? ;)

I think with his 7hr day and a hr in breaks, he could still be at school ??

• Haha 1