Total time taken for breaks in a days work

Floclimber

On 29/09/2021 at 21:38, Floclimber said:

I run my own business and I'm interested to know what other business's allow for break times during a day's work. Typically I work 8 or 9 hour day, I have been allowing 30mins tea break mid morning and 30 to 45 minutes lunch. It was less a year ago, and now breaks have slipped since new team leader has been full time without me on site. I think 15 minutes tea break and 30 -40mins luch is plenty fair enough. Keen to hear from others. Cheers

I'd be more concerned personally that your 'foreman' seems unable to manage either his own time or that of those under him. That, I feel, is the crux of the matter here.

A feckless foreman will make even the keenest youngster slow down or start their own show.

Edited by doobin
  • Like 3

On 29/09/2021 at 22:14, gdh said:

In an 8 hour day I have 30minutes off for lunch. If I'm doing 10+ I sometimes take another 20 minutes later in the day but usually eat on the move if it's machine work.

I get bored if I'm having a break without food, I would rather get more done or have less breaks and a shorter overall day.

U cant perform well 10 hours per day ,its a BS , end of story .

I am self employed,always work for set price ,never do more than 7 work hours about 1 hour brakes when needet, and i seen only one guy who was better than me in 25 years ,tipical western sh ... it spend time at work but not working ,barely draging legs ,sitting on the phone ,smoking , eating and other usual bananas .

Edited by Sviatoslav Tulin
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, Sviatoslav Tulin said:

I am self employed,always work for set price ,never do more than 7 work hours about 1 hour brakes when needet, and i seen only one guy who was better than me in 25 years ,tipical western sh ... it spend time at work but not working ,barely draging legs ,sitting on the phone ,smoking , eating and other usual bananas .

I agree with you and constantly advised against 12 hour shifts as being less productive but was overruled, mostly by managers who would kip in their cars and claim the shift. In general it was because the client was willing to pay for a 12 hour shift rather than two 8 hour shifts which would have got twice as much done.

39 minutes ago, Sviatoslav Tulin said:

Depends on the job, I don't like to do more than 8 hours on a saw but if it's on a tractor 10 hours plus is fine (and on the farming side of the business the only way). 

Working long hours isn't for everyone but if it's not too physically difficult and you enjoy the job it's no different to working 8 hours then going for a drive/to the gym after. Except you get paid. 😉

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, gdh said:

Depends on the job, I don't like to do more than 8 hours on a saw but if it's on a tractor 10 hours plus is fine (and on the farming side of the business the only way). 

Yes I was referring to ground work, motor manual vegetation management. Ten hours on a machine is standard and the harvester driver I worked alongside would regularly do twelve and if he was bored do a bit of a late shift too, as he lived in a caravan on the job.

• Like 2

One member here has just done 60 days straight doing not 10 but 12 hour shifts. To cap that off it was all on nights.

I regularly do 14-21 days straight on 12-16 hours a day.

• Like 2