Total time taken for breaks in a days work

Floclimber

As far as our working day…
No set times for anything.
The lads take breaks and breathers at appropriate times for them.
Sometimes every 30 minutes when moving huge slabs in 30 degree heat.
Sometimes they take no breaks to get home sooner.
Personally I encourage regular breathers, as physically tired staff cause accidents.
[emoji106]

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Rough Hewn said:

Not correct.
Under eu law, with manual labour there’s a clause saying every 45-60 minutes yiu are entitled to 5 minute break.
Can’t really remember must of it, (it was 30 years ago I learnt this).
There are also lots of other caveats concerning temperature and weather.
Not even sure what’s happened to British labour laws now… brexit etc.

My post was a direct quote lifted from the government site.

Workers' rights to rest breaks at work - length of breaks, how your age affects rest breaks, exceptions to the rules for...

• Like 2

That doesn’t necessarily mean it’s correct. I once had a very interesting chat with a bloke who worked for a major legal database provider. His firm employs hundreds of people in the UK and thousands worldwide, keeping up with changes, keeping track of what the law was five minutes ago and what the law is now. Literally that quickly. He said he occasionally bumps into the people who do the same job for the government. All five of them.

• Like 1

opengraph-image-a1f7d89ffd0782738b1aeb0da37842d8bd0addbd724b8e58c3edbc7287cc11de.png WWW.GOV.UK
Workers' rights to rest breaks at work - length of breaks, how your age affects rest breaks, exceptions to the rules for...  

Read it very carefully.
Usually…. Etc.
The contractors who make the gov.uk website are the lowest bidder.
They literally copy and paste from emails.
Hmrc told me this.
Do not rely on the information on the site.
It is for guidance purposes only.
It’s all in the small print…
[emoji106]
  • Like 1

let le tell you guys, about this crew where the boss says no lunch break anymore, 8hs long day and guess they just complied.

I pay my crew per hour...2 hs of work 10ms break, lunch 1/2h break.

After knowing what the previously mentioned crew takes, my crew started being payed for luch,😁

13 hours ago, eggsarascal said:

What nonsense, a young'un on a good gang/team soon learns how to pull their weight. People call pulling their balls out in Mrs Miggins bush fun or heroic. Strange world.

People do fiscally well because they know their trade because they've worked hard to master it.

Are you denying that desirable jobs are paid less in general than less desirable ones?

I wasn't for a minute suggesting that the you don't know your job etc, but simply put, you'd have to pay me more to deal with human waste than for me to drive a shiny fire truck. 

5 hours ago, Mark J said:

When I used to do contracting we'd start at half seven and usually finish by 1 or 2 pm, everyone worked hard and got paid fairly, if we were to work later than early afternoon then everyone would get paid a bit more. I know there are bigger outfits out there who work longer hours, that model doesn't work for me but each to their own.

That's the difference between 'pricing' the job and 'doing' the job.

I'll 'price' a job for a fair day.

When we're 'doing' it, it's full on until it's done and that's the days work done.

Usually 08:30-09:00ish on site, rare to still be there after 14:30.

Everyone gets the days rate regardless and they can still get home early or do something of their own afterwards.  

Any fool can make a days work last a day, the pay and motivation is better if you go at it hard and get it done early.

• Like 11

2 minutes ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

That's the difference between 'pricing' the job and 'doing' the job.

I'll 'price' a job for a fair day.

When we're 'doing' it, it's full on until it's done and that's the days work done.

Usually 08:30-09:00ish on site, rare to still be there after 14:30.

Everyone gets the days rate regardless and they can still get home early or do something of their own afterwards.  

have a life.

Any fool can make a days work last a day, the pay and motivation is better if you go at it hard and get it done early.

That's exactly how I used to do it. Getting things done by early pm gives everyone time to arrange more work and do fun things.

• Like 4