Total time taken for breaks in a days work

Floclimber

In my prime, without a doubt!

Just a tree worker. Work for a local Tree Surgeon doing a mix of domestic arb and bigger contract stuff.
Between that it's processing or splitting or delivering logs, occasionally help with milling.

I don't think that I'm riding out my time, 46 and working harder, faster and cleverer than the youngsters, on the ground and off it!

In your prime? You’re 46 and doing the job of a 20 year old. Without an exit plan you’re gonna be on the scrap heap within 10 years. All while being an expendable employee.

I assume you know this and have a plan in place?
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

In your prime? You’re 46 and doing the job of a 20 year old. Without an exit plan you’re gonna be on the scrap heap within 10 years. All while being an expendable employee.

I assume you know this and have a plan in place?

I'll let you worry about the life plan and the pension expectations Andy, I'll leave my exit plan in the hands of the grim reaper 

• Like 13
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, eggsarascal said:

Does anyone really watch the clock? Eat when you are hungry and drink when you are dry.

That doesn't work with feckless 20 something year olds who will do á little as possible in a day.

1 hour ago, trigger_andy said:

What does the law say? If I was an employee what some of you endure in this day and age, for the wages is almost criminal.

Yeah but people want to do tree work because of the glory and bitches.

Pretty simple really, jobs perceived as fun or heroic are undervalued by the volume of people looking to get into the trade. That's why arbtalk's resident poo-shifter is doing way better fiscally than the majority of us. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Joe Newton said:

That doesn't work with feckless 20 something year olds who will do á little as possible in a day.

Yeah but people want to do tree work because of the glory and bitches.

Pretty simple really, jobs perceived as fun or heroic are undervalued by the volume of people looking to get into the trade. That's why arbtalk's resident poo-shifter is doing way better fiscally than the majority of us. 

What nonsense, a young'un on a good gang/team soon learns how to pull their weight. People call pulling their balls out in Mrs Miggins bush fun or heroic. Strange world.

People do fiscally well because they know their trade because they've worked hard to master it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We generally have 15 mins mid morning, 30 mins mid day, and a further 10-15 mins mid afternoon if the weather dictates it. Weather conditions are major deciding factor I think. Clearly if it’s 30 degrees and your slogging your arse off in a Sitka spruce first thinnings job, you take regular breaks for hydration. Equally, a quick stop and jump in the van to heat up when it’s sheeting it down is vital. Everyone wants to get through the day unscathed and be back for the next shift, so sometimes an extra break here and there is perfectly acceptable.

Mind you, I’ve had a few lads who seem to have their phone out at every bloody opportunity. They sharp get told what the alternative is.

Edited by IronMike
Spelling
  • Like 9

6 hours ago, Mark J said:

Job and knock works well in tree surgery.

Everyone wants to finish by 1 - 2pm with a wedge of cash in their pocket.

You start at 04:00/04:30 I can only presume, or do you expect full time wages for a part time job?

P.S.

Working in a production/factory environment 2 days a week through an Agency, for minimum wage just now, purely to get me out of the house.

A friendly clean environment, but a totally soulless way to earn a megre crust, though it is mostly all student types/youngsters sharing the line.

Edited by difflock

9 hours ago, trigger_andy said:

What does the law say?

Workers have the right to one uninterrupted 20 minute rest break during their working day, if they work more than 6 hours a day. This could be a tea or lunch break.

The break doesn’t have to be paid - it depends on their employment contract.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, difflock said:

You start at 04:00/04:30 I can only presume, or do you expect full time wages for a part time job?

P.S.

Working in a production/factory environment 2 days a week through an Agency, for minimum wage just now, purely to get me out of the house.

A friendly clean environment, but a totally soulless way to earn a megre crust, though it is mostly all student types/youngsters sharing the line.

When I used to do contracting we'd start at half seven and usually finish by 1 or 2 pm, everyone worked hard and got paid fairly, if we were to work later than early afternoon then everyone would get paid a bit more. I know there are bigger outfits out there who work longer hours, that model doesn't work for me but each to their own.

• Like 1

Workers have the right to one uninterrupted 20 minute rest break during their working day, if they work more than 6 hours a day. This could be a tea or lunch break.
The break doesn’t have to be paid - it depends on their employment contract.

Not correct.
Under eu law, with manual labour there’s a clause saying every 45-60 minutes yiu are entitled to 5 minute break.
Can’t really remember must of it, (it was 30 years ago I learnt this).
There are also lots of other caveats concerning temperature and weather.
Not even sure what’s happened to British labour laws now… brexit etc.
  • Like 1