Asian hornets

Ty Korrigan

11 hours ago, Dan Maynard said:

I'm certainly not looking forward to them arriving here, maybe unless they sting pigeons and drive them out of the trees?

Funnily enough, whilst ascending and stripping a spruce in high summer I spied a pigeon nest with a bird around it. I cursed my luck as no one likes destroying nests. Then my eye was drawn no more than 2ft away from it to an Asian hornets nest that was well hidden in the top.

I scuttled down ASAP and called the destructors.

So they seem to coexist without problems.

I can’t condone your schoolboy antics afterwards Stu, you shouldn’t mess about with these things, although I find them totally understandable.

There’s a good vid on the net of some rednecks firing a rookie (crow scarer) into one with a catapult with devastating results.

BUT- while my inner child cheered, you do have to think about the ones who got away?

Your hypothesis that they all simply die isn’t necessarily correct.

They can form mini-colonies of super-bastards. They have already decided who the new Queen will be.

Think Cersei in Game of Thrones.

Best keep them all in one place and kill the whole lot, surely?

They do pose a genuine threat to our bee population.

Funnily enough, whilst ascending and stripping a spruce in high summer I spied a pigeon nest with a bird around it. I cursed my luck as no one likes destroying nests. Then my eye was drawn no more than 2ft away from it to an Asian hornets nest that was well hidden in the top.
Bastards. Fed up of pigeons at the moment, seems they've kept on breeding like mad with the warm weather.

6 minutes ago, Mark Bolam said:

They’re relentless Dan.

Two squabs (doves) relocated on Monday, sectioning cherries growing from a mixed hedge.

Nest is now 8’ lower, 18” down into the hedge with a temporary monsoon/magpie branch tarp on top.

Mam was back on them before we pulled out.

In the Mayenne, no-one hears pigeons scream...

IMG-20210519-WA0001.jpg

• Sad 1

55 minutes ago, Dan Maynard said:
1 hour ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Read more  

Bastards. Fed up of pigeons at the moment, seems they've kept on breeding like mad with the warm weather.

Probably obviously but be careful of those dirty flying rats .a friend got too close to them once and ended up getting pneumonia

the other week one flew straight at me through a hedge.nearly fell off the ladder.

Edited by Jack.P

2 hours ago, Mark Bolam said:

I can’t condone your schoolboy antics afterwards Stu, you shouldn’t mess about with these things, although I find them totally understandable.

There’s a good vid on the net of some rednecks firing a rookie (crow scarer) into one with a catapult with devastating results.

BUT- while my inner child cheered, you do have to think about the ones who got away?

Your hypothesis that they all simply die isn’t necessarily correct.

They can form mini-colonies of super-bastards. They have already decided who the new Queen will be.

Think Cersei in Game of Thrones.

Best keep them all in one place and kill the whole lot, surely?

They do pose a genuine threat to our bee population.

According to my beekeeper friend, who is very worried about those things hitting our shores, (a nest was found two years ago in dorset) , by this time of year, that nest would have produced some 200 queens who would have dispersed by now. The workers would have died , as a worker wasp would have done.

• Like 1

You’re right Dan, many potential

Queens may be be long gone (that’s how they colonise),with other potential Queens still in the colony.

I would never advocate trying to exterminate anything, but these bastards seem to be an exception.

And horse flies.

By Christ it gives me pleasure to kill those bastards to catch them on me and kill them before they bite.

I’m getting quicker in my old age.

• Like 1