Wording an application

NickinMids

11 hours ago, AHPP said:

The thought of trying to make some dreadful council arsehole see sense on a matter like this makes my blood run cold. The very best of luck with it.

You don't need to. You need to make them appreciate that an Inspector on appeal will see sense. Then it's up to the COuncil to decide if it wants the grief of losing an appeal.

That said, referring to Council officials like that on a publicly visible website aint going to get you off to a good start in persuading anyone. Some TOs are decent hard working people, most are, although there are a couple that I wouldn't piss on if they were on fire. I'm not fussed about offending them, they probably know already.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, NickinMids said:

They would prefer a hard pollard with an undertaking to carry out ongoing management. They would be happy to agree to that. I’m not aware of the regular maintenance agreement.

Is this something that can be applied for in the same way as one off works?

Yes!

• Like 2

13 hours ago, openspaceman said:

I don't know the circumstances, the TPO may have been on it before the building or before the building was converted to a dwelling  but if planning permission was granted (but maybe it wasn't??) then the tree should have come out as part of the permission.

Phew......  when I started reading that I thought you were going down the line of not knowing the circumstances under which Bolam would bare his arse 😳

Was quite a relief when you veered off towards tree circumstances 😀

• Haha 3

Thanks for the replies

Ive been told by the householders that they bought the land with planning permission for two houses. They wanted one house so had to re apply. 

The planning officer granted the new permission but then informed the TO about the tree and I’m told he TPO’d it without seeing it. 

They then had to employ a consultant etc etc. They have spent thousands extra apparently to get the build done

The original TO has moved on. And his last permission for a 2.5 reduction has expired. They need to do something

They would prefer a hard pollard with an undertaking to carry out ongoing management. They would be happy to agree to that. I’m not aware of the regular maintenance agreement.

Is this something that can be applied for in the same way as one off works?

AAHP I particularly appreciate your considered view. I think they would be willing to go with the regular cherry picker if that’s the only option

cheers all

Also consider (and compel others to consider) the environmental impact of longwinded tree management. 3 men, 2 chainsaws, 1 cherry picker and a fire in the corner of the garden would cause x amount of pollution once and leave a pile of logs behind to help with home heating. Plant some suitable stuff elsewhere if further indulgence is desired. The alternative is loads of driving to meetings, hearings, site visits etc, then the same cherry picker and men to do some pruning, now not once but once every three years (that’s 60 times for a building with a life of 180 years). If the tree breaks and damages a building, car, dog or human, you’re now into more diesel and machines for builders, panel beaters, vets or ambulances, and the tree blokes again, and the problem still won’t be solved. That’s more pollution than x. The council will have some hogwash eco duty they may want to comply with. Shove that in their faces. Good luck.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, AHPP said:

Also consider (and compel others to consider) the environmental impact of longwinded tree management. 3 men, 2 chainsaws, 1 cherry picker and a fire in the corner of the garden would cause x amount of pollution once and leave a pile of logs behind to help with home heating. Plant some suitable stuff elsewhere if further indulgence is desired. The alternative is loads of driving to meetings, hearings, site visits etc, then the same cherry picker and men to do some pruning, now not once but once every three years (that’s 60 times for a building with a life of 180 years). If the tree breaks and damages a building, car, dog or human, you’re now into more diesel and machines for builders, panel beaters, vets or ambulances, and the tree blokes again, and the problem still won’t be solved. That’s more pollution than x. The council will have some hogwash eco duty they may want to comply with. Shove that in their faces. Good luck.

Conversely, an old, pollarded, willow will likely increase the net biodiversity of the site. 

If the clients like the tree then whack it on a pollard cycle, if they don't then don't. Willows are known for water uptake so depending on soil structure and foundations etc., heave may be a consideration should you/they wish to remove said tree.

Conversely, an old, pollarded, willow will likely increase the net biodiversity of the site.   If the clients like the tree then whack it on a pollard cycle, if they don't then don't. Willows are known for water uptake so depending on soil structure and foundations etc., heave may be a consideration should you/they wish to remove said tree.

Fine. That then. As long as it’s not regrowth miles out on branches that you want a cherry picker to easily reach. A twiglet (perhaps with some very short branches) can be maintained by one man with gear that fits in a rucksack. Silky off a set of steps on a sunny Saturday. Bottles of cider round the fire afterwards. Jumpers for goalposts. Albion.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, AHPP said:

Fine. That then. As long as it’s not regrowth miles out on branches that you want a cherry picker to easily reach. A twiglet (perhaps with some very short branches) can be maintained with gear you put in a rucksack. Silky off a ladder on a sunny Saturday. Bottles of cider round the fire afterwards. Jumpers for goalposts. Albion.

Haha, 'Twiglet'.