Wood / fuel burner in garden room

Kevshev

Hi,

I'm looking to have a garden office / man cave built in the coming months. Would love a multifuel / log burner in there if possible - we have one in the house and nights by the flames are the best. Just have a few questions and wondered if anybody here could advise me, please?

We have a fairly large garden but neighbours' gardens on either side and to the back. We live in a smoke-free zone so it would be kiln-dried wood or smokeless coal burned only. With a lower flue, probably only around 3m in the air, would the smoke from this be very unpleasant for the neighbours? It would be the dream to have a wood burner in there but if it was noticeably smoky then I'd probably just rarely light it anyway, so it would be rendered pointless. 

Any words of wisdom / experience appreciate!

Thanks

Might be controversial but if you are having a timber building and can get if pretty well insulated as you build it, I’d say there’s a risk of any stove making it unpleasantly hot inside.

That will particularly be the case if you end up with an over-capacity stove that you will be trying to slumber to keep the output down. Better to run something smaller, hotter, for more efficient (less smoky) flue.

Personally I wouldn’t have thought a 3m high flue would be a problem, but then I grew up outside a smoke control area. I had a shed / man cave with a circa 3m, 100mm diameter flue running a small stove when I was younger and draft-wise it was fine.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, djbobbins said:

Might be controversial but if you are having a timber building and can get if pretty well insulated as you build it, I’d say there’s a risk of any stove making it unpleasantly hot inside.

That will particularly be the case if you end up with an over-capacity stove that you will be trying to slumber to keep the output down. Better to run something smaller, hotter, for more efficient (less smoky) flue.

Personally I wouldn’t have thought a 3m high flue would be a problem, but then I grew up outside a smoke control area. I had a shed / man cave with a circa 3m, 100mm diameter flue running a small stove when I was younger and draft-wise it was fine.

Thanks for this! Heat output is definitely a slight concern. I'm looking at pretty diddy 2 or 3kw stoves. I imagine that could still overheat a well-insulated room (probably about 5 x 3m) but my main worry is just it affecting the neighbours too much as I will end up not using it out of feeling bad. Reassuring to hear that you think I might be ok, thanks. 

If you’re lighting the stove I’m going to guess it will be cold, so how many of your neighbours will be outside in the cold? Do any of the neighbours moan when someone in the area has a BBQ? As long as the wood is well seasoned, I’d reckon you’ll be ok.

• Like 1

Charnwood AIRE 3 installed within a Vlaze stove pod.   This set up is specifically designed for what you have in mind.  I have sold several mainly for posh log cabins beside lakes and tucked away.

aire3_pod.png WWW.CHARNWOOD.COM  

Can one of those go straight onto a wooden floor? I am considering something for in my home office and that would be helpful if it doesn’t mean needing to lift the floor and lay a hearth.

3m flue could be an issue, many stoves will need more to draw, I believe 4m is the minimum on a couple of stoves I've had iirc, so check they aspect of any chosen stove carefully.

You don't need kiln dried, properly air dried burns as well and as clean

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, neiln said:

You don't need kiln dried, properly air dried burns as well and as clean

Exactly . 20% moisture is 20% moisture no matter how its achieved .  In fact air dried would be my choice if I had to pick between the two . I think it has more " body " for a similar moisture content .

• Like 1

On 22/09/2021 at 21:31, Alycidon said:

Charnwood AIRE 3 installed within a Vlaze stove pod.   This set up is specifically designed for what you have in mind.  I have sold several mainly for posh log cabins beside lakes and tucked away.

I just set ours on a slab of 40mm thick free floating granite set on top of the suspended wooden floor.

Haint failed yet.

Though a few scorch marks on the wood from embers.