Making your own mallet?

Doug Tait

22 hours ago, trigger_andy said:

I’ll be dropping you a PM soon for some mallets Steve.

By the way, we love our bowls! Everyone loves them. To think it was a piece that almost went in the fire.

IMG_3648.jpg

just remember that it's best to email me as i rarely get on here...

glad you are pleased with the bowls...

• Like 1

On 22/09/2021 at 17:15, Doug Tait said:

Another question from my colleague who is starting his hedgelaying apprenticeship.

He wants to make a mallet for knocking in the uprights that support the layed hedge (sorry I don't know the correct terms to describe this), and wondered if anyone might suggest which type of wood he should use?

He's thinking one type for the head and different for the shaft, would this be correct and if so what would you suggest? There is plenty of different stuff to choose from at work, thanks for any suggestions. 

Are the posts uniform? if so piece of steel tubing/pipework or even curled round then end welded onto it and weld an handle/s to side to hold up place over top of post and can whack with anything without post splitting up.

Ive a long handled 4lb lump hammer that takes care of most things/people etc! or you can use back of Axe/Hatchet

Idea is to turn it into a sort of Cap that holds post and get a uniform hit on it.

• Like 1

Hazel stakes like theese, though whats used  probably differs in other parts of country (2inch diamter max)

What we make – Froe Wood Coppice Products

Used a small-ish old sledge hammer (and crowbar) when using stakes like ones above for pea supports in garden with sheep netting

Reckon the ideal all wooden mallet would be a handle 80cm long with head about 2kg in weight.

Fencing alu maul was too big to be ideal though worked ok also.

Edited by Stere
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AngrySquirrel said:

Are the posts uniform? if so piece of steel tubing/pipework or even curled round then end welded onto it and weld an handle/s to side to hold up place over top of post and can whack with anything without post splitting up.

Ive a long handled 4lb lump hammer that takes care of most things/people etc! or you can use back of Axe/Hatchet

Idea is to turn it into a sort of Cap that holds post and get a uniform hit on it.

I'd guess the posts are fairly uniform. It's a good suggestion you make but I think he's determined to make a mallet to use from wood.

• Like 1