Making your own mallet?

Doug Tait

Another question from my colleague who is starting his hedgelaying apprenticeship.

He wants to make a mallet for knocking in the uprights that support the layed hedge (sorry I don't know the correct terms to describe this), and wondered if anyone might suggest which type of wood he should use?

He's thinking one type for the head and different for the shaft, would this be correct and if so what would you suggest? There is plenty of different stuff to choose from at work, thanks for any suggestions. 

Another question from my colleague who is starting his hedgelaying apprenticeship.

He wants to make a mallet for knocking in the uprights that support the layed hedge (sorry I don't know the correct terms to describe this), and wondered if anyone might suggest which type of wood he should use?

He's thinking one type for the head and different for the shaft, would this be correct and if so what would you suggest? There is plenty of different stuff to choose from at work, thanks for any suggestions. 

Beech for the head, or maple. If he’s really set on a different shaft then some straight grained Ash.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Doug Tait said:

A few hedgers i know favour a piece of holly that they try and cut as one piece instead of putting a handle on

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I've made mallets from hazel too, I would suggest two different woods is overcomplicating the thing. It doesn't really matter what the handle wood is, so it might as well be the same as the head - advantage being then you just cut down the wood thinner and no problems joining head to handle.

That'd be my take anyway, simple is good. Besides, you'll leave it in a hedge somewhere so don't want to invest too much love into it.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, gary112 said:

I knock my stakes in the back of my axe Doug,but each to there own

I hadn't really thought about why he was keen to make it himself and it was a busy day so we didn't really have time to chat. I'll ask him if he's thought of using an axe, thanks Gary.

• Like 1

Makes sense to use one piece, a lot less trouble to go to. I'll pass on your suggestions tomorrow, thank you.

IMG_0926.jpgIMG_0928.jpg

I make mine out of a single piece of seasoned beech log. They last about a year (and they are used a lot) before the handle invariably snaps and then they just get chucked into the fire.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1