What chances do I have?

Rms7

I'm looking to work. I have done one year at college, have basic tree cutting and fencing skills. I have a car and trailer(with license). I'm keen and fit and have chainsaws and pretty much all the gear or access to anything I would need from various sources. 

So can I just "give it a go". I would not do this without insurance first and I have storage options(rentable storage etc). I wouldn't be solely doing tree surgery work, rather fencing, land care, and anything within  that category, cutting hedges, removal, general work.

The downsides, I have no work lined up. I have little experience. I wouldn't attempt anything that I felt was dangerous or beyond my skills.

So if you were in my position what would you do next, would you hand out flyers, phone around. Where would you get work ?

• Like 1

Of course you can just give it a go. That's how most of us got started, crack on!

People are desparate for hedges cut, etc- everyone is flat out. Now is a great time to start. Get some leaflets made up and hand deliver them around the posher parts of your area. Odds are you'll end up chatting to a homeowner as you do this, and bingo, there's your first job.

Edited by doobin
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, agg221 said:

How are you going to dispose of arisings? If you have access to a chipper, great, you can probably work that out for nothing more than the cost of the diesel. If not, that is possibly the most challenging part of the plan.

Alec

My sister has 4 acres of land. 

I would work for someone else first.

You’ll learn a hell of a lot in a year.

Or three.
To put it bluntly you have some resources but no skills.
Working with experienced professionals will teach you more than college.
Once you’ve gained first hand experience with many different scenarios…
That’s your basis to offer services.
I spent years alone in a forest thinking I knew what I was doing…
Then I started sub contracting…
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Steep learning curve.
Best of luck, keep us updated with your trials and tribulations [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Rms7 said:

I'm looking to work. I have done one year at college, have basic tree cutting and fencing skills. I have a car and trailer(with license). I'm keen and fit and have chainsaws and pretty much all the gear or access to anything I would need from various sources. 

So can I just "give it a go". I would not do this without insurance first and I have storage options(rentable storage etc). I wouldn't be solely doing tree surgery work, rather fencing, land care, and anything within  that category, cutting hedges, removal, general work.

The downsides, I have no work lined up. I have little experience. I wouldn't attempt anything that I felt was dangerous or beyond my skills.

So if you were in my position what would you do next, would you hand out flyers, phone around. Where would you get work ?

Location may Help ? as people are crying out for staff at present 

• Like 1