Greasing Nose Sprockets - Tool Advice

Bob_z_l

Hi All,

What am I doing wrong. The Greasing syringe ( for lack of a better description) keeps getting blocked.

It gives similar resistance to me applying grease but it isn't reaching the nose sprocket.

Has anyone got a better tool/device for doing this. Or am I expecting too much from a £4 thing?

10 minutes ago, Bob_z_l said:

Hi All,

What am I doing wrong. The Greasing syringe ( for lack of a better description) keeps getting blocked.

It gives similar resistance to me applying grease but it isn't reaching the nose sprocket.

Has anyone got a better tool/device for doing this. Or am I expecting too much from a £4 thing?

nowadays I didn't think most  bothered to grease the nose, if it spins and you are worried about it then dip it in chain oil and spin it again.

• Like 2

Just now, openspaceman said:

nowadays I didn't think most  bothered to grease the nose, if it spins and you are worried about it then dip it in chain oil and spin it again.

Thanks, to explain,  I've had a couple of failures on my GB milling bars.

Maybe getting a bit over sensitive but it seems to me putting grease in rather that relying on oil seemed to make them last.

Cheers

1 hour ago, Bob_z_l said:

Thanks, to explain,  I've had a couple of failures on my GB milling bars.

Maybe getting a bit over sensitive but it seems to me putting grease in rather that relying on oil seemed to make them last.

Cheers

Milling is maybe a different kettle of fish . Working on the ground be it in the woods or a groundy I have found , over the years that its best not to grease them . I have had a few nose sprockets let go and since I stopped greasing all has been fine . It depends on the environment you are working in but sometimes dirt and dust can stick to the grease making it into a sorta grinding paste shortening the life span . Just me perhaps ...

Edited by Stubby
  • Like 5

14 minutes ago, Stubby said:

Milling is maybe a different kettle of fish . Working on the ground be it in the woods or a groundy I have found , over the years that its best not to grease them . I have had a few nose sprockets let go and since I stopped greasing all has been fine . It depends on the environment you are working in but sometimes dirt and dust can stick to the grease making it into a sorta grinding paste shortening the life span . Just me perhaps ...

Same here, not greased a bar for years and had no trouble

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Stubby said:

Hi @Stubby  I get you. I used to do the same with chains on my Motorbikes. Too much lube attracts , as you say. Thank goodness for o-rings.

My experience with my GB nose sprockets is they seem to dry up and become a metal on metal very quickly without loads of grease. Then bang.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mark Bolam said:

What grease gun (syringe) have you got?

The only one I’ve found that works is the original metal barrelled Oregon one.

All the rest have been utterly useless.

Thank You. I have a generic one from Tree and Grass

2 hours ago, adw said:

I have used these for many years, top tip if you put a thin rag over the grease hole and push the grease nozzle through the rag into the hole, this seals the sides, always works.

Grease gun.PNG

This looks the business. Cheers