Hobbies

Ian Flatters

Hi everyone,

After seeing a couple of threads on specific hobbies I had a thought.

Start a thread and see what others do, you never know something you may have been thinking about, turns out someone on here's doing it so you can ask questions.

For me it's been paddle boarding, every Sunday we go out on the quiet river and just enjoy it. Its been a fantastic stress relief and something out of work or work related stuff. I'm by no means anything more than a beginner but enjoying the time paddling, falling in, seeing the landscape a way you rarely do and lots of wildlife.

• Like 9

18 minutes ago, Steve Bullman said:

Paddle boardings something i've always fancied trying.

I just bought a ready formed Niwaki tree at considerable expense. Going to buy some saplings soon and try making some from scratch. Was planning a thread as it happens.

06BEFB96-5ABC-4652-BE3D-31AF6FC221DA.jpeg

D58C53E4-B227-4425-8E70-C836ACF6C07C.jpeg

Right next to that downpipe.

I have been mixing tunes for 20 years, mainly just in my bedroom, but have been picking up gigs for the last few years. Also record a new mix every month or so and have a reasonable following on Soundcloud. 

I played at a festival in West Cumbria called Solfest on the last bank holiday weekend, was mega!

IMG-20210829-WA0012.jpg

IMG-20210829-WA0003.jpg

IMG-20210827-WA0007.jpg

• Like 16

Is reading a hobby?
I either work or I’m with family normally.
Non work related fun is a dim distant memory now.
When I get time I like to read history books. Mainly the classics.
Greeks Romans minoans etc.
Thousands of years ago, people still thought the same as us.
It’s a fascinating place life…
[emoji106]

• Like 9

Gardening I guess, although probably more as a result of wanting to keep the place looking half tidy rather than it being something I desperately enjoy whilst doing it.

I’m part-way through planning and sourcing materials for a brick-built BBQ and “exercise ball” pizza oven.

Being a skinflint this has a few interesting challenges, thinking about the design, picking up good parts of other projects (YouTube!) then hunting Facebook marketplace and considering alternative solutions for parts - for example:

- sourcing a section of 100mm stainless steel car exhaust for the pizza oven chimney as it was about a third of the price of twinwall

- happening across someone giving away storage heaters locally (= free fire bricks for the pizza oven base!)

- a few hundred leftover bricks from a house refurb someone had done locally at about a tenth of the price they would have been from a merchant

- half a dumpy bag of sand, also free

- chicken wire, vermiculite and other bits sourced via Facebook marketplace as leftovers from other people’s bigger jobs / projects.

I suppose if I costed in the time I have spent searching bits down and fetching them, I would better off just sourcing off the web and paying delivery, but then that wouldn’t have been much of a hobby / distraction, would it?! And as I’m in a salaried job with no paid overtime, it’s not like switching the time spent to doing “proper work” would have brought more cash in.

• Like 5

Gardening I guess, although probably more as a result of wanting to keep the place looking half tidy rather than it being something I desperately enjoy whilst doing it.

I’m part-way through planning and sourcing materials for a brick-built BBQ and “exercise ball” pizza oven.

Being a skinflint this has a few interesting challenges, thinking about the design, picking up good parts of other projects (YouTube!) then hunting Facebook marketplace and considering alternative solutions for parts - for example:

- sourcing a section of 100mm stainless steel car exhaust for the pizza oven chimney as it was about a third of the price of twinwall

- happening across someone giving away storage heaters locally (= free fire bricks for the pizza oven base!)

- a few hundred leftover bricks from a house refurb someone had done locally at about a tenth of the price they would have been from a merchant

- half a dumpy bag of sand, also free

- chicken wire, vermiculite and other bits sourced via Facebook marketplace as leftovers from other people’s bigger jobs / projects.

I suppose if I costed in the time I have spent searching bits down and fetching them, I would better off just sourcing off the web and paying delivery, but then that wouldn’t have been much of a hobby / distraction, would it?! And as I’m in a salaried job with no paid overtime, it’s not like switching the time spent to doing “proper work” would have brought more cash in.
Sounds like it's going to be quite the pizza oven.
  • Like 1