Chainsaw For Working in UK Forestry Advice

Jamie Jones

On 21/09/2021 at 20:47, Jamie Jones said:

What chainsaws are people using for working on forestry timber felling in the UK?

The reason for asking is because, although I am qualified for doing that line of work, I am only just going to be getting some real world experience. I am hoping that once I have some experience, it will possibly be going to add to my winter income stream when the other elements of my work quieten down. (I am located in Wales and would guess that is where I would be doing some of this sort of work)

So I am after some advice as to what combination of cc chain saws & bar lengths  tend to be the main stay for normal daily work  (For both Husky & Stihl)..
IE 60cc or 70cc (and what bar length you use on them) for the main saw and how often are you using 90cc or bigger?

All advice is welcome

So Jamie have you decided what saws to go for?

• Like 1

Yep… sure have. It’s going to be like Christmas 🤣🤣

I have a Husquvana 592xp on order for the tree surgery side of the business.

Plus I will be getting a Husquvana 562xp for forestry. Which will be backed up by my Dolmar 6100 a second saw.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Rough Hewn said:

So after 3 pages of advice the op decided to buy a saw no one has used.🤣🤷🏽‍♂️emoji106.png

I’ve used a 592xp, it’s a great saw, but so is my 395xpg so I won’t be replacing it. I have a 562xpg, don’t really rate it at all to tell you the truth. The 550xpg   does 90% of what the 562 does, only better, and the 572xpg does the other 10% better also. The 562 is a clumsy, heavy, underpowered saw that drags on 3/8 unlike the 560 on .325 IMO, it rarely ventures out so I have converted the guide bar to use it solely on my sweetchestnut fence mortising jig.

• Like 1

I’ve used a 592xp, it’s a great saw, but so is my 395xpg so I won’t be replacing it. I have a 562xpg, don’t really rate it at all to tell you the truth. The 550xpg   does 90% of what the 562 does, only better, and the 572xpg does the other 10% better also. The 562 is a clumsy, heavy, underpowered saw that drags on 3/8 unlike the 560 on .325 IMO, it rarely ventures out so I have converted the guide bar to use it solely on my sweetchestnut fence mortising jig.

You’ve used a 592xp?
Who’s did you use?
There’s only one in the country last time I checked.

4 minutes ago, Rough Hewn said:

You’ve used a 592xp?
Who’s did you use?
There’s only one in the country last time I checked.

There are several, with at least three ‘H’ Team members using them.

I think there was was also an opportunity to use one at the Honey Brothers show a few weeks back too.

Edited by 5thelement
  • Like 1

Just now, Rough Hewn said:

Nice one emoji106.png
How’s it compare to other 90cc’s?
emoji106.png

It was the ergonomics and the smoothness of the power delivery that impressed me the most. I haven’t used many 90cc saws apart from huskies for a while so can’t really compare it with a Stihl etc. The pre orders will be in with my local dealer any time soon so there should be lots of forum based chat imminent. 

• Like 2