Mountain Ash Trees (Rowan Trees) Looking like they have Ash Die-back, But They Can't Get It! Advice

Jamie Jones

Looking for a bit of advice. I have a number of sites a do the grounds maintenance for. They have a number of Mountain Ash Trees (Rowan Trees) that have the signs of having Ash Die-back.

But from everything I am reading Mountain Ash Trees (Rowan Trees) can't get Ash Die-back because they are not an Ash Tree.

The Mountain Ash Trees (Rowan Trees) have for most of this year has had leaf die-back on the ends of the branches, The leaves that they do have all look blighted, Some of the ends of the branches are brittle, As are some of the limbs, A few of the younger trees have become totally brittle or dead, with a couple snapping off at the base.

So if it is not Ash-Dieback, What is it? And What SHould I be advising should be done, because they are in public access places?

If they were Ash, then I would be telling the client to fell them straight away. SO DO I ADVISE THE CUSTOMER THAT THEY SHOULD FELL THEM?

In the attached pictures, some of the trees look a lot worse.. Especially the bigger trees.

IMG_0937.jpeg

IMG_0934.jpeg

IMG_0933.jpeg

IMG_0931.jpeg

IMG_0914.jpeg

IMG_0911.jpeg

IMG_0916.jpeg

Edited by Jamie Jones
Added more pictures
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Jamie Jones said:
Looking for a bit of advice. I have a number of sites a do the grounds maintenance for. They have a number of Mountain Ash Trees (Rowan Trees) that have the signs of having Ash Die-back.

But from everything I am reading Mountain Ash Trees (Rowan Trees) can't get Ash Die-back because they are not an Ash Tree.

The Mountain Ash Trees (Rowan Trees) have for most of this year has had leaf die-back on the ends of the branches, The leaves that they do have all look blighted, Some of the ends of the branches are brittle, As are some of the limbs, A few of the younger trees have become totally brittle or dead, with a couple snapping off at the base.

So if it is not Ash-Dieback, What is it? And What SHould I be advising should be done, because they are in public access places?

If they were Ash, then I would be telling the client to fell them straight away.

In the attached pictures, some of the trees look a lot worse.. Especially the bigger trees.

IMG_0937.jpeg

IMG_0934.jpeg

IMG_0933.jpeg

IMG_0931.jpeg

Similar story here Jamie,two plantations i been in lately and the Rowan are either dead or dying.Also been in Aspen plantation couple weeks back and 50% of those are looking sick.

• Sad 1

39 minutes ago, Jamie Jones said:

32 minutes ago, gary112 said:

Similar story here Jamie,two plantations i been in lately and the Rowan are either dead or dying.Also been in Aspen plantation couple weeks back and 50% of those are looking sick.

Same story in Stoke on Trent and surrounding areas. Also we have a lot of tired looking mature/young mature Beech in our area. I remember the Beech took a real scorching in the drought and heatwave we had, was it 2 or was it 3 years ago. Wonder if that is a factor?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yep i have noticed it as well and about a month ago i asked a expert from this site and he informed me that Rowan can not get Ash die back, i tend to differ in that one, the ones have seen are well on there way out and it does look like Ash die back to me, there is a lot of trees around us in north Lancs that are looking sick mainly Beech and Sycamore but noticed several Birch this morning that have either shed most of there leafs or have all turned yellow and starting to drop,

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Notwithstanding the broader regional observations from other posters, the tree(s) in the pic(s) look like they might be subject to a combination of some or all of the following:

= sub-optimal nursery stock struggling to become established

= poor planting and after care (stakes and bands still in situ, possibly poorly planted, inadequate planting pit, inadequate watering?)

= poor surface area preparation / maintenance around base of tree(s)

= strimmer damage?

They don't look like they were given the best chance to get established.   This might be combined with, or contributing to, poor resilience which denudes the tree(s) ability to withstand environmental and biological challenges.

Part 2

What should you do?

They don't look like they would present any particular hazard so probably no need to remove straight away.

You could either retain and try giving them a helping hand for a year or 2 and see if they stand a chance of recovery or remove and properly replant good stock with a suitable after care schedule. 

If there's no rush, give them a helping hand and see what happens for a year or 2, if it's a lost cause, cut your losses and start again.

Edited by kevinjohnsonmbe
  • Like 3