Ifor Williams woes

IronMike

1 hour ago, IronMike said:

I'm a very caution driver, slow and steady! Use my gearbox to slow down where possible, and try to avoid heavy braking. 

Funnily enough, when I initially had the problem I borrowed a mates 16ft twin axle trailer. One wheel get very hot on that too!

Heavy engine braking still applies the trailer brakes.

Seems like you need to get this weighed.

Is it tyre heat rather than brake heat?

I can't convey enough how gentle I am when driving. It all stems from the nasty fishtailing incident I had. I was very steady before then, even more so now!

The thing is, these trouble started out of nowhere. I've used the trailer without fault for over 2 years. The Logbullet hasn't changed weight magically overnight. 

The heat is on the hubs, and the central part of the wheel where the wheels studs locate. It's very hot to touch.

26 minutes ago, Haironyourchest said:

Call If or Williams head office and get in touch with a company tech. Find out what temp Ifor hubs should expect to get and compare to yours (lazer thermometer). Maybe you will end up having to just replace all the hubs and breaking assembly.

Ha ha ha, as if Ifor have company techs, or know what temperature their hubs run at!

’Give Dewi a shout, there’s an English bloke on the phone after some info about brakes or something’.

’What do you mean? We just nail them together, he must be doing something wrong with it’.

’He reckons it’s getting hot when he tows it’.

’Tell him not to check it then, nobody else does. Now leave me alone, I’m busy shearing my wife’. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

I can't convey enough how gentle I am when driving. It all stems from the nasty fishtailing incident I had. I was very steady before then, even more so now!

The thing is, these trouble started out of nowhere. I've used the trailer without fault for over 2 years. The Logbullet hasn't changed weight magically overnight. 

The heat is on the hubs, and the central part of the wheel where the wheels studs locate. It's very hot to touch.

Did you take a pic Mike?

8 minutes ago, monkeybusiness said:

Ha ha ha, as if Ifor have company techs, or know what temperature their hubs run at!

’Give Dewi a shout, there’s an English bloke on the phone after some info about brakes or something’.

’What do you mean? We just nail them together, he must be doing something wrong with it’.

’Tell him not to check it then, nobody else does. Now leave me alone, I’m busy shearing my wife’. 

Oh, I understand. Never owned an Ifor myself, not rich enough... I suppose they don't make their own hubs though, the OP could still contact the hub manufacturer.

Are they all very hot or just some?

Ive a different make tri axle, a few weeks back i gave the underside a clout on a rock, bent the brake cable holder which is for the first 2 axles, thought id straightened it, but noticed the rear axle now locked up on wet roads under braking. That brake holder hadnt been clouted but the previous weeks "adjustment" meant the brake rod was now slightly too tight for that last axle, those hubs were also hot to touch, the others just luke warm.

Im guessing yours has a Knott system like other Ifors? Just go over your brakes yourself, max an hour and basic tools.

https://www.knottuk.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/KF048-Instructions-for-Adjusting-Braking-System.pdf

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, monkeybusiness said:

I'd come back onto this thread to post something about how I'm always surprised Ifor are a name in trailers because since when did anything else good come out of Wales. You've done a far better job. Bravo.

DMM, ISC, I know I know...

To be fair, i always thought Ifor were like Land Rovers- agricultural and ovverated, with idiots paying silly money secondhand. Then I bought a new GH1054BT, and it's just superb.

I had nothing but trouble with Indespension trailers, but this thing is faultless.

Or at least, it would be, if Ifor and the dealer had done the assembly and the PDI properly. Leaf spring nuts were only just threaded onto the nylock bit on one side, leading to a spring coming loose and trashing two tyres before I noticed! The dealer didn't want to know, said it was something I'd done- until I sent them a screenshot of the email I'd sent after towing the trailer back, saying what a nice trailer but please check your PDI process as I'd just had to lock the brake rod nut on before it parted company 🙄

So yes, trading on the name somewhat, but this GH1054 is still a very good trailer.

My last Ifor tri axle definately isn't as well built as my previous one, even the chaps who fitted the crane have commented on it.
I saw a Towmate trailer the other month which are made locally and have to say I am extremely impressed with the build quality and extra nice touches it had , when they make a 14ft tri axle we will have one if it's built to the same standard.

• Like 1