Tree Identification

Rory F

It has had some stem growth on the roots and trunk and I have cut them off as I didn't want anything growing from the root ball. I'd much prefer a tree than a bush. Is there anyway to tell definitely which variety of Hazel it is? Someone mentioned the Turkish Hazel before and this looks quite tree like from the Google images I've found.

It has had some stem growth on the roots and trunk and I have cut them off as I didn't want anything growing from the root ball. I'd much prefer a tree than a bush. Is there anyway to tell definitely which variety of Hazel it is? Someone mentioned the Turkish Hazel before and this looks quite tree like from the Google images I've found.

If the nuts in your photos are from your tree,
It’s a wild hazel. Not Turkish.
Turkish hazel has a very strange looking cup, with lots of sticky bits.
[emoji106]
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Rory F said:

Thanks a lot. The nuts are from my tree. Do you know if it is likely to grow more like a tree or bush and should I be cutting off the growth from the root ball and lower trunk? Is the wild hazel called Corylus Avellena?

Corylus Avellana is common/wild hazel. I think they can adopt a single stem form but I have never seen one.

They almost always adopt a shrubby habit so if you want to maintain a single stem you will have to always cut off the growth from the lower stem and root ball. 

I doubt you will really be doing it much harm by constantly pruning it as long as the cuts are as clean and as low to the ground as possible. It will always be trying to thwart you though with new shoots.

It will probably never grow into a grand old tree, this is not the 'hazel way'. 

• Like 2

Many thanks for the good advice. The reason I am asking about all this is because we bought a newbuild and originally the tree was a Sorbus Aria but it died. They replaced it and advised it would be replaced with another Sorbus Aria however clearly that hasn't happened as we have a Hazel tree now. We like the idea of a tree and not a bush or shrub and we liked the idea of the white flowers on the Sorbus Aria. Would a Sorbus Aria look much nicer and 'tree like' in your opinion?

4 minutes ago, Rory F said:

Many thanks for the good advice. The reason I am asking about all this is because we bought a newbuild and originally the tree was a Sorbus Aria but it died. They replaced it and advised it would be replaced with another Sorbus Aria however clearly that hasn't happened as we have a Hazel tree now. We like the idea of a tree and not a bush or shrub and we liked the idea of the white flowers on the Sorbus Aria. Would a Sorbus Aria look much nicer and 'tree like' in your opinion?

From a purely personal standpoint I think I would prefer a hazel, but yes, a whitebeam would definitely look more 'tree like'. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks I didn't know that. So can I have a prolific cob on a single stem?

Yeah have a look here

Thought the pic of the "amenity hazel tree" might of being on a such a graft....as turkish is non suckering - for the single stem.

As seemed odd to me to plant a multi stem hazel trained / trimmed as single stem like in pic?

Edited by Stere