Alkylate fuels.

coppice cutter

I think it's time to make at least a partial switch to Alkylate so a couple of questions.

Nearest Aspen dealer is a fair wee bit away, Husqvarna a good bit closer, Stihl 5 minutes. Do people just buy what's handiest and use it in everything or does it need to be Stihl fuel for Stihl, Husqvarna for Husqvarna, Aspen for do everything else, etc?

On top of that then do people generally buy a 2-stroke mix for 2-strokes, or just buy straight and mix with oil of their choice as required?

All advice/experiences welcome.

Edited by coppice cutter

I used Aspen for over 10 years but I have now switched to Stihl moto mix as I can buy it in with more ease. I buy it pre mixed. It's excellent stuff, none of my equipment has ever had fuel problems since moving away from normal petrol. Carbs don't gum up, rubber does not perish, I haven't used a strummer in a couple of years and it starts no problem. For me it's worth the extra money.

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, coppice cutter said:

I think it's time to make at least a partial switch to Alkylate so a couple of questions.

Nearest Aspen dealer is a fair wee bit away, Husqvarna a good bit closer, Stihl 5 minutes. Do people just buy what's handiest and use it in everything or does it need to be Stihl fuel for Stihl, Husqvarna for Husqvarna, Aspen for do everything else, etc?

On top of that then do people generally buy a 2-stroke mix for 2-strokes, or just buy straight and mix with oil of their choice as required?

All advice/experiences welcome.

I buy Aspen 4 or Husqvarna equivalent and mix with Red Line 2T oil but only as I have lots around . If not I would buy the ready mixed . Not used the Stihl but both the others . I don't think , in reallity it is make specific but have heard odd stories regarding warranty claims ( you should have used " our " fuel etc )   

Do you see any difference between them in practice?

I've been reading a few older threads and they turned in to a bit of a bun-fight which is why I started a new topic.

My only new piece of equipment is an Echo saw, everything else is older and a mixture of makes, but all owned from new and serving me very well.

Therefore I've no potential brand affiliation with fuel.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Hodge said:

I used Aspen for over 10 years but I have now switched to Stihl moto mix as I can buy it in with more ease. I buy it pre mixed. It's excellent stuff, none of my equipment has ever had fuel problems since moving away from normal petrol. Carbs don't gum up, rubber does not perish, I haven't used a strummer in a couple of years and it starts no problem. For me it's worth the extra money.

Are you using this in Stihl equipment or across a range of things?

I swapped all my machines over to Aspen one by one when they needed a full service. I changed all the carb bits and rubber hoses, i buy Aspen in the orange can. I run Echo and Stihl gear and it works just fine. Only machine is a Koritz strimmer thats still on pump fuel and stihl red oil as i cant get parts for to change it to Aspen and daren't just try it as im afraid the fuel pipe will crumble and then the machine will be useless

3 hours ago, Rough Hewn said:

I’ve used aspen2 and Stihl motomix for 4-5 years?
I buy the 55 litre drums of motomix now. Less plastic.
Never go back to pump fuel.
emoji106.png

Does this come in metal or plastic drums?
We are thinking of switching over. I hadn’t realised Stihl did bigger than 5l until a few days ago.