Chainsaw operator

richard@curteisforestry.co.uk

When I used to say similar things to the above 10 years ago I used to get slaughtered around this parish with absolute nonsense like, the industry won't stand it. It was bollocks back then like its bollocks now. The OP only wants to pay £10/hour because he knows he can get away with it. 

If I'm wrong this industry wants a good kicking into 2021.

Did a job with my brother today. Few jobs around a garden. Took some limbs down, dug 6 holes for trees. Set a couple of clothes lines in cement, lowered a coupe of drains and poured a wee 1m x 2m cement pad.

£600 profit each for 7 hours work. Why folk bust their balls for a wage they can just exist on I have no idea. My brothers not made less than £600 profit a day odd-jobbing this year.
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

Did a job with my brother today. Few jobs around a garden. Took some limbs down, dug 6 holes for trees. Set a couple of clothes lines in cement, lowered a coupe of drains and poured a wee 1m x 2m cement pad.

£600 profit each for 7 hours work. Why folk bust their balls for a wage they can just exist on I have no idea. My brothers not made less than £600 profit a day odd-jobbing this year.

That's damn good money outside The Smoke for a jobbing builder, any qualified, experienced trade, subbing should start at £200/day imo, the money is there.

Two bits to this. OP, I've plenty of experience on a saw, own PPE, own saw, you supply the fuel/oil and somewhere with water and electric for me to park my truck I'll come and do it for £15/hour. I can't promise 5 days a week but I'll give you 3 every week.

You'll like this trig, one of the main, 'the industry won't take it brigade' said it one day, with in a few days he posted a picture of a brand spnking new convertible he'd just collected worth about £50k.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, eggsarascal said:

That's damn good money outside The Smoke for a jobbing builder, any qualified, experienced trade, subbing should start at £200/day imo, the money is there.

Two bits to this. OP, I've plenty of experience on a saw, own PPE, own saw, you supply the fuel/oil and somewhere with water and electric for me to park my truck I'll come and do it for £15/hour. I can't promise 5 days a week but I'll give you 3 every week.

You'll like this trig, one of the main, 'the industry won't take it brigade' said it one day, with in a few days he posted a picture of a brand spnking new convertible he'd just collected worth about £50k.

Sounds about right!

My brother was on £250 a day managing the public sector arm of a Building Firm in London. He’s just been asked back for £450

a day. He obviously told them to poke it as he’s making more up in Scotland with a £400 a month mortgage and not a £1500 a month rent bill. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Vedhoggar said:

The cost of a 5 day training course in UK for trees up to 38cm is likely to be >£900 with assessment plus PPE another £400 if not provided and then 5 days lost work time while training say >£450, compare that with jobs paying £10/hr that don't involve expenditure of about £2000. 

B324FC01-8667-4B50-8123-F1488718463F.jpeg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, trigger_andy said:

Your making it sound like Scottish cleaning is back 😂😂 Your not working undercover here are you 😂😂

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, spuddog0507 said:

Your making it sound like Scottish cleaning is back 😂😂 Your not working undercover here are you 😂😂

I have no idea what you're talking about! I would like to inform you all that my new Boots and Stihl Post Hole Auger worked perfectly ;)

My Brother has some chainsaw tickets and was at Collage whilst serving his time with a local Estate before moving to London to get into the building trade, he worked his way up the ladder in the company he worked for and was even offered to become a member of the board of directors. Its a multi-million pound company with public and private sectors. But he was sick of London and wanted to come back to Scotland to raise his children. To get established up here he's taking on whats essentially odd-jobs to keep a roof over his head but its doing fantastically well for him. Inundated with requests and cherry picks the best. It certainly makes me wonder why I bother slogging my guts out Milling for £400 a day. 

Anyway, Im off to clean some windows in my new wellies. :D 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, trigger_andy said:

I have no idea what you're talking about! I would like to inform you all that my new Boots and Stihl Post Hole Auger worked perfectly ;)

My Brother has some chainsaw tickets and was at Collage whilst serving his time with a local Estate before moving to London to get into the building trade, he worked his way up the ladder in the company he worked for and was even offered to become a member of the board of directors. Its a multi-million pound company with public and private sectors. But he was sick of London and wanted to come back to Scotland to raise his children. To get established up here he's taking on whats essentially odd-jobs to keep a roof over his head but its doing fantastically well for him. Inundated with requests and cherry picks the best. It certainly makes me wonder why I bother slogging my guts out Milling for £400 a day. 

Anyway, Im off to clean some windows in my new wellies. :D 

£400 a day doesn't seem like bad money until you take your costs and tax off. By the time you've done that, and realise you are actually working for not much more than half that, it's a bit depressing. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Retired Climber said:

£400 a day doesn't seem like bad money until you take your costs and tax off. By the time you've done that, and realise you are actually working for not much more than half that, it's a bit depressing. 

You’re quite correct. That’s why he’s not interested. 

But up in Scotland with a £400 a month mortgage and total bills of less than £1000 it’s a nice living. 

• Like 2