Husqvarna 365 special cyl and piston

Fatboy2017

I have just stripped an 18 year old 365 which has never been touched since new and done a lot of work without hardly any maintenance ( not one of mine!) 

Piston has let go and damaged the cylinder. Does anyone know of or have a s/h cyl,  guy does not want to run to a new oem, even though he has spent nothing on the saw in all the time he's had it ( from new)  Even the spark plug was original!  I suspect cheap 2 stroke oil as a lot of carbon on plug and in cylinder was the cause. As you could imagine it needs other bits ( clutch drum, brg never greased!) rim sprocket etc etc. I want to help if possible, even if people like this don't deserve to be helped, but he looks after my place abroad when I'm not around. Any suggestions welcome. I'm reluctant to fit AM, but if I can't find an OEM solution, any suggestions from past experience of make to fit? I am willing, of course to fit a Meteor piston, but the cylinder is the issue.

1 hour ago, Fatboy2017 said:

I have just stripped an 18 year old 365 which has never been touched since new and done a lot of work without hardly any maintenance ( not one of mine!) 

Piston has let go and damaged the cylinder. Does anyone know of or have a s/h cyl,  guy does not want to run to a new oem, even though he has spent nothing on the saw in all the time he's had it ( from new)  Even the spark plug was original!  I suspect cheap 2 stroke oil as a lot of carbon on plug and in cylinder was the cause. As you could imagine it needs other bits ( clutch drum, brg never greased!) rim sprocket etc etc. I want to help if possible, even if people like this don't deserve to be helped, but he looks after my place abroad when I'm not around. Any suggestions welcome. I'm reluctant to fit AM, but if I can't find an OEM solution, any suggestions from past experience of make to fit? I am willing, of course to fit a Meteor piston, but the cylinder is the issue.

Are you sure the cylinder is unserviceable. The  aluminium pick up from the piston always looks bad but after that is dissolved off the scratches in the nikasil are often not severe. Most of the wear is taken by the piston ring.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, adw said:

If it’s that old it will have the oval inlet flange, so it’s going to need the later inlet boot and clip whatever happens, the open transfer port cylinders do not hone well.

He did say it was a special , so 372 bottom end anyway . Did the early special have open transfers ? I thought it was only on the bog standard 365 with the orange clips .

Thanks for the suggestions, there is quite a few ridges in the cylinder that I don't think will rub / hone out. The 272 suggestion is good one but I'm not really bothered as owner does / will not know the difference, if I find a 272 top end it would be an option as I will change intake book as well for a precaution as 18 years old!