Thought the land was dry!

Billhook

One thing I must do before attempting any serious winching with this machine is to build a heavy duty frame to protect the driver from a cable snapping.

1 hour ago, openspaceman said:

the fibre core holds some lubricant but no need with modern galvanised stuff  for rust proofing

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Billhook said:

One thing I must do before attempting any serious winching with this machine is to build a heavy duty frame to protect the driver from a cable snapping.

Certainly but in that video the wire rope and hook were propelled by the elasticity in those purple straps not energy stored in the wire.

• Like 1

I think its days of everyday winching work are long over and it is there because the D7 had one on originally and I like messing with new toys.  I would only ever need it to either pull myself out or perhaps the 15 ton JCB 806 if it became stuck.  Do not think I will every be winching trees out.  I expect it will require some effort just to pull the cable out unless I can do it with the Kawasaki Mule or a quad.

This was one of the comments after the video which has made me nervous!

Back in the 80's I was in the airborne infantry and a few of us were offered a chance to cross train in vehicle recovery. It was a three week class and I learned a lot about recovering every type of vehicle you can imagine, and in every type of situation you can imagine. The one thing that stuck out that I will NEVER forget, was seeing the damage done to an M88 tank retriever when it's main winch line broke. The main winch is a 70 TON single line pull, and I believe the cable was 1.5 inches and I think there was 300 or maybe 400 feet of it. When the line snapped, it came right back and hit the M88 head on like a punch, and it knocked a hole RIGHT THROUGH SEVERAL INCHES OF STEEL BULK HEAD. You could see where it actually melted the steel as it forced its way through. No one was hurt, but it scared the crap out of every man there. The instructor said this is what happens when you don't do the math when figuring mire factors, block and tackle friction factors, knowing real vehicle weight, and enough pulling power to winch every sick whore in the world off her piss pot at the same time. Seeing that made me even nervous to pull too hard on my boot laces when tying them up. When we winch now, my pucker factor is always so tight you couldn't pound a pin up my ass with a jackhammer. I really know what can happen and it's scary. Whether or not these tests are real world, the damage a broke wire rope will do, is real world. Keep up the great work.

Show less

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Billhook said:

I think its days of everyday winching work are long over and it is there because the D7 had one on originally and I like messing with new toys.  I would only ever need it to either pull myself out or perhaps the 15 ton JCB 806 if it became stuck.  Do not think I will every be winching trees out.  I expect it will require some effort just to pull the cable out unless I can do it with the Kawasaki Mule or a quad.

This was one of the comments after the video which has made me nervous!

Back in the 80's I was in the airborne infantry and a few of us were offered a chance to cross train in vehicle recovery. It was a three week class and I learned a lot about recovering every type of vehicle you can imagine, and in every type of situation you can imagine. The one thing that stuck out that I will NEVER forget, was seeing the damage done to an M88 tank retriever when it's main winch line broke. The main winch is a 70 TON single line pull, and I believe the cable was 1.5 inches and I think there was 300 or maybe 400 feet of it. When the line snapped, it came right back and hit the M88 head on like a punch, and it knocked a hole RIGHT THROUGH SEVERAL INCHES OF STEEL BULK HEAD. You could see where it actually melted the steel as it forced its way through. No one was hurt, but it scared the crap out of every man there. The instructor said this is what happens when you don't do the math when figuring mire factors, block and tackle friction factors, knowing real vehicle weight, and enough pulling power to winch every sick whore in the world off her piss pot at the same time. Seeing that made me even nervous to pull too hard on my boot laces when tying them up. When we winch now, my pucker factor is always so tight you couldn't pound a pin up my ass with a jackhammer. I really know what can happen and it's scary. Whether or not these tests are real world, the damage a broke wire rope will do, is real world. Keep up the great work.

Show less

I've heard similar tales from an RAF regiment Squadron Leader about recovering CVRT with a Kinetic Energy Recovery Rope but they depend on stored energy giving the extra impulse so problems to be expected if something gives.

Also wire rope winching failures at sea but there also the energy is stored in the weight of whatever is trawled up when the wire breaks and lashes around as the load drop. Pulling logs tend not to have these catastrophic failures.

Edited by openspaceman
typo and spelling