Thought the land was dry!

Billhook

The Track Marshall 90 was 90 Perkins hp, which is not much compared to the 170hp Cummins in the Fastrac. 

The 1174 had about 120hp and the 1474 about 160 hp.

The TM had differential steering with levers which is the reason nobody has ever beaten me at arm wrestling!  Now the D7 for all its size and weight has a beautiful hydraulic assisted pair of clutches and brakes to turn the machine on a sixpence.  It only has 120 hp but it is 14 litres with a huge stroke in each of the 3.5 litre cylinders.  Max revs is 900.

A County 1474 short nose was just sold recently to a collector near here for £205,000!  I still have an 1124 with roof crane for forestry.

Even the Countys and Cat D7 would have gone down this wet spring hole but at least the Cat has the Hyster winch with over 30,000 lbs of pull to recover itself!

The tyres on the !474 were only 18.4/34  compared to the Fastrac 540/65  R30.  I would choose the Fastrac every time with electric hydraulics, proper draft control, aircon, and suspension that leaves you in better condition at the end of a 10 hour day than all the others!

19 hours ago, doobin said:

FFS you barely got round the headland! 🤣

I was only doing the headlands which were messed up in all that rain we had a few years back. So they were very hard having not been cultivated for some time, full of ruts, sloping a lot and  heavy hard dry clay , until of course I hit the spring!

We are going to sow them with Miscanthus so that hopefully will be the last time they are ploughed 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, spuddog0507 said:

where are the County,s at now all 3 worth a pretty penny today but i would say you did what a lot of others did and traded em for some thing more modern and comfortable just like a guy i work with he traded his 1174 for a heap of trouble Renault...

No one has come running to buy any of my Counties and that 1474 that sold only had a few hours on the clock. Mine are a bit battered from forestry use. Rob Morgan, who breaks Counties for spares reckoned a private buyer might pay £10k whereas a professional restorer would only offer £4k.

Mind I'm winching with the 1124 today and forwarding with an 1164 and grapple loader.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, openspaceman said:

No one has come running to buy any of my Counties and that 1474 that sold only had a few hours on the clock. Mine are a bit battered from forestry use. Rob Morgan, who breaks Counties for spares reckoned a private buyer might pay £10k whereas a professional restorer would only offer £4k.

Mind I'm winching with the 1124 today and forwarding with an 1164 and grapple loader.

The 1124  has nothing like the ability of the Matbro Teleporter in the woods

It cannot lift even half as much and the teleporter is great at helping trees go down in the right place as well as easily dealing with hung ones.  Another plus is that the muck grab is above you helping to guide the tree  and protect against falling rotten branches 

Today we have been thinning some 80 foot high sycamore which were planted too close and the trunks are only just over a foot in diameter.  They are so close together that every tree becomes hung up

Just a nudge with the teleboom is enough to bring them down and if not a chain around the base and a short bit of reversing.  The logs are stacked at ten foot lengths and I can pick up a large bundle with the old muck grab and deposit them gently on the log table by the Palax

I would like to restore the old 1124 back to agricultural spec. ( ducks down under desk to hide from missiles!)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Billhook said:

'cept my 1124 has a 4.5tonne-meter grapple loader and twind 4 tonne winches

11 minutes ago, Billhook said:

I would like to restore the old 1124 back to agricultural spec. ( ducks down under desk to hide from missiles!)

Makes sense to me

It cannot lift even half as much and the teleporter is great at helping trees go down in the right place as well as easily dealing with hung ones.  Another plus is that the muck grab is above you helping to guide the tree  and protect against falling rotten branches 
Today we have been thinning some 80 foot high sycamore which were planted too close and the trunks are only just over a foot in diameter.  They are so close together that every tree becomes hung up
Just a nudge with the teleboom is enough to bring them down and if not a chain around the base and a short bit of reversing.  The logs are stacked at ten foot lengths and I can pick up a large bundle with the old muck grab and deposit them gently on the log table by the Palax

Not telling you how to do it but I would be very careful felling with a tele-handler I've seen the results of one that got a stem caught on a tine whilst pushing it over on a badly cut hinge and tipped the thing over writing off a brand new manitou! Insurance was invalid as it wasn't to be used for forestry either.

11 minutes ago, MattyF said:

Not telling you how to do it but I would be very careful felling with a tele-handler I've seen the results of one that got a stem caught on a tine whilst pushing it over on a badly cut hinge and tipped the thing over writing off a brand new manitou! Insurance was invalid as it wasn't to be used for forestry either.

Teleporters are easily tipped over just with no load and mast up and extended on rough ground,  just need to be careful and yes a falling tree has a lot of energy

1 hour ago, openspaceman said:

'cept my 1124 has a 4.5tonne-meter grapple loader and twind 4 tonne winches

Makes sense to me

Don't think I would be happy with four and a half tons on my 1124 cab roof!  The bloody thing nearly tips over sideways with just a few logs in the grab, not even half a ton, and it has water ballasted tyres.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Billhook said:

Don't think I would be happy with four and a half tons on my 1124 cab roof!  The bloody thing nearly tips over sideways with just a few logs in the grab, not even half a ton, and it has water ballasted tyres.

600kg of winch on the back and about half a tonne of bomford blade on the front with wheels set out to 8ft helps keep it stable.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Billhook said:

There wouldn’t be any missiles being thrown from me. Any pics?

8 hours ago, Conor Wright said:

I reckon it's the wife he's worried about. An irrational anger response is common when old oily machines are mentioned in the vicinity of the fairer sex!

I have heard my todger called many names but never an old oily machine!

9 hours ago, Mrblue5000 said:

There wouldn’t be any missiles being thrown from me. Any pics?

We had a discussion about this a couple of years ago  on the "Show us yer Tractors" thread

The old County is feeling a bit flat in the first photo but has since been revived

• Like 1