Thought the land was dry!

Billhook

39 minutes ago, difflock said:

FFS.

Ploughing wi a Fastrac.

What did you expect.

From memories o wan getting laired on hardcore while tipping a dump trailer, where much more ordinary smaller tractors came, tipped and went without fuss.

On hard-core?! Sounds more like driver at fault than machine. 

Unless there wasn't enough of it and it broke through?

1 minute ago, Conor Wright said:

On hard-core?! Sounds more like driver at fault than machine. 

Unless there wasn't enough of it and it broke through?

No, poorly worded I appreciate, but "she" sat and spun on top of the hardcore, the trailer bring a bit bogged in the softer ground off the hard.

I was simpley gobsmacked at the lack of traction, compared to most any normal configuration of tractor.

This was however a transport spec Fastrac, so that probably had a bearing on the matter.

29 minutes ago, difflock said:

No, poorly worded I appreciate, but "she" sat and spun on top of the hardcore, the trailer bring a bit bogged in the softer ground off the hard.

I was simpley gobsmacked at the lack of traction, compared to most any normal configuration of tractor.

This was however a transport spec Fastrac, so that probably had a bearing on the matter.

I believe you. only have a couple of hours driving experience on a fastrac, loved it on the road, very wary of it on the land! Was with a dump trailer in spongey but dry peaty conditions (you know the six inch summer crust that forms above the soup below!) Still, you'd expect to have enough traction to pull on hard standing. 

I reckon a fendt, valtra etc would have grunted a bit where billhooks fastrac went down but would have made it out the other side with a slight lift of the plough. 

Shame she went down (not too many men say that!) It's gonna leave a soft spot there for a few years. 

• Like 1

To be fair to the Fastrac, it is well balanced with that massive weight on the front, and I have ploughed the farm for the last fifty odd years with a variety of tractors starting with a two furrow reversible on a Massey 185, to a Track Marshall 90 with 4 furrow trailed, County 1174, 1184 and 1474, Caterpillar D7 with tool carrier. 

The Fastrac is the best so far with the Besson plough behind

The problem here was a Spring hole and although I was able to drive the Fastrac and plough over the crust with the plough in the air, as soon as I started ploughing it broke through and then it is like trying to break out of a swimming pool as all the ground around is dry and rock hard.  The heavy clay soon turned the new tyres into slicks.

A few years ago  in similar dry conditions a New Holland TF 46 put one wheel in one of these Spring holes and it still was stuck fast with two 150 hp Massey tractors chained together plus the combine wheel turning.  The D7 did pull it out quite easily but it weighs twenty tons and has a shed load of torque.

Anyway today it has pissed down so much I think that the tractor will be in the shed for the time being!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Billhook said:

To be fair to the Fastrac, it is well balanced with that massive weight on the front, and I have ploughed the farm for the last fifty odd years with a variety of tractors starting with a two furrow reversible on a Massey 185, to a Track Marshall 90 with 4 furrow trailed, County 1174, 1184 and 1474, Caterpillar D7 with tool carrier. 

The Fastrac is the best so far with the Besson plough behind

The problem here was a Spring hole and although I was able to drive the Fastrac and plough over the crust with the plough in the air, as soon as I started ploughing it broke through and then it is like trying to break out of a swimming pool as all the ground around is dry and rock hard.  The heavy clay soon turned the new tyres into slicks.

A few years ago  in similar dry conditions a New Holland TF 46 put one wheel in one of these Spring holes and it still was stuck fast with two 150 hp Massey tractors chained together plus the combine wheel turning.  The D7 did pull it out quite easily but it weighs twenty tons and has a shed load of torque.

Anyway today it has pissed down so much I think that the tractor will be in the shed for the time being!

Your Track Marshall would of been capable of doing the ploughing your doing with not much bother i would of thought,,, where are the County,s at now all 3 worth a pretty penny today but i would say you did what a lot of others did and traded em for some thing more modern and comfortable just like a guy i work with he traded his 1174 for a heap of trouble Renault...