Arb Clothing

acac1991

Hi all,

Chainsaw pants getting ripped constantly. 

Anyone have any luck getting them repaired by a seamstress? Mine keep re-ripping as soon as they're machine sewed again and the rips aren't enough to warrant new trousers.

Any recs? 

Where and how are they ripping? Along the seams? In my experience the fabric used is very tough so doesn't rip easily at all.

I've repaired a hole in mine before, though I think that was an exhaust burn rather than a rip. I used a repair patch of spare fabric that came with the trousers and stuck it on with Stormsure glue. (Great stuff). It's still fine a couple years later.

WWW.STORMSURE.COM

Stormsure Flexible Repair Adhesive is a very strong general purpose adhesive and it can also be used as a surface sealant. It exhibits special characteristics unlike many adhesives as it is highly flexible and stretchy after it has cured but it remains very strong. It fills gaps well, it is suitable for use indoors and outdoors and in marine environments. The adhesive can be painted on top of a surface to make it waterproof, airtight or abrasion resistant. Stormsure adhesive can often be used to cover holes without a patch. A thick film of adhesive will make a good repair. If the glue will drip through the hole just place some sticky tape behind the hole before applying the glue. It can be removed once the glue has cured. Stormsure Flexible Repair Adhesive bonds to virtually all surfaces including neoprene, rubber, leather, PVC, polyurethane, breathable and coated fabrics, wood, metal and more. It is ideal for repairing cracks in rubber wellington boots, hiking boots, loose soles, leaks in waders, rips in wetsuits, damaged horse rugs, holes in tents and canopies, leaks and splits inflatable items and many other items too. It can also be used for repairs to woodwork and furniture, roof tiles and concrete. A tube of Stormsure Flexible Repair Adhesive is an essential part of a repair kit for hikers, DIY, fishermen, equestrians, hunters, divers, campers, surfers, sailors, engineers etc!Comes with disposable gloves. DIRECTIONS: Use the adhesive at room temperature. Clean the damaged area to remove dirt and grease (sandpaper the surface for best adhesion). Apply a generous amount of Stormsure Flexible Repair Adhesive to the damaged area, with at least a 5mm extra around the damaged area. Leave horizontal and allow to cure for 10-12 hours. TIPS: Store partly-used tubes in a deep freezer. Warm up to room temperature before use again.

• Like 1

Have had a few repairs done by a customer that is retired from theatre costume making. What she has done lasts well. Was mainly seams, pockets and zips. Had old trousers donated by some kind members here for her to salvage 'parts' from, but I'm sure she said a lot was hand stitched so maybe that's stronger than machine stitching.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, acac1991 said:

Hi all,

Chainsaw pants getting ripped constantly. 

Anyone have any luck getting them repaired by a seamstress? Mine keep re-ripping as soon as they're machine sewed again and the rips aren't enough to warrant new trousers.

Any recs? 

What make are they  ?  I used to get rips and tears but once I started using Pfanner strides it doesn't happen .