Jump to content
Rhyanna96

E10 fuel and chainsaws?

Recommended Posts

Local mechanic told me to stick with the new e10 and not use super as it will run too hot. 

Also says use a fuel stabiliser if keeping longer than a month.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, woody paul said:

Was told last month red diesel has 8% bio in now, but could of had old stuff with only 5% in.

Thats interesting as in a conversation with someone the other day i said diesel dont even smell like diesel used to smell, if you got some one your hands or clothing you could smell it all day and it was still there if you had washed your hands ? today its gone, got a drum of Red in the shed that had water in it and i just use it to wash parts off in and that is still red, filled digger up on Friday with some red i bought the wk before, it has been in a clear drum in a woodland for what 8-10 days and that has changed colour to brown a bit like tea ??. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, richyrich said:

Local mechanic told me to stick with the new e10 and not use super as it will run too hot. 

Also says use a fuel stabiliser if keeping longer than a month.

The super grade is E5 (5% Ethenol) and octane >90 (97?) and I think it’s recommended that chainsaws should run on >90 octane but not aware of a specified upper limit, would have thought it would just run cleaner. In the past I’ve used Ethanol free fuel or E5 standard fuel with stabiliser and used the E5 within a month as one time I had E5 in a generator without stabiliser for months and when we came to use the machine it would not start and cost £50 to sort out the carb. Another guy had standard E5 in a saw without stabiliser which he hadn’t used for about 6 months which was stop/starting/cutting out and he just couldn’t  get it to work, that cost him about £50 to sort out the carb too. A local lawnmower/chainsaw mechanic advised me on Monday not to use E10 in small machines so it’s going to be a case of ‘suck and see’ I suppose. 

 

 

 

Edited by Vedhoggar
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Vedhoggar said:

The super grade is E5 (5% Ethenol) and octane >90 (97?) and I think it’s recommended that chainsaws should run on >90 octane but not aware of a specified upper limit, would have thought it would just run cleaner. In the past I’ve used Ethanol free fuel or E5 standard fuel with stabiliser and used the E5 within a month as one time I had E5 in a generator without stabiliser for months and when we came to use the machine it would not start and cost £50 to sort out the carb. Another guy had standard E5 in a saw without stabiliser which he hadn’t used for about 6 months which was stop/starting/cutting out and he just couldn’t  get it to work, that cost him about £50 to sort out the carb too. A local lawnmower/chainsaw mechanic advised me on Monday not to use E10 in small machines so it’s going to be a case of ‘suck and see’ I suppose. 

 

 

 

Yes, it looks like we will just have to see what happens in a year or two.  I've just bought some fuel mix from Toolstation to 'protect' from the ethanol, etc. I will trial it with the e10- simply cos it's cheaper..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Rhyanna96 said:

Wut?

Sorry, it refers to read the manual, from 2018 the Husqvarna manuals have all said the saw is fine with ethanol up to 10%.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, adw said:

Sorry, it refers to read the manual, from 2018 the Husqvarna manuals have all said the saw is fine with ethanol up to 10%.

Thankyou 😬

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Local mechanic told me to stick with the new e10 and not use super as it will run too hot. 
Also says use a fuel stabiliser if keeping longer than a month.
I would like a proper explanation why this is, I can understand that super is no advantage but not why it should burn hotter if nothing else changes.
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Featured Adverts

  • Tip site reviews

About

Arbtalk.co.uk is a hub for the arboriculture industry in the UK.  
If you're just starting out and you need business, equipment, tech or training support you're in the right place.  If you've done it, made it, got a van load of oily t-shirts and have decided to give something back by sharing your knowledge or wisdom,  then you're welcome too.
If you would like to contribute to making this industry more effective and safe then welcome.
Just like a living tree, it'll always be a work in progress.
Please have a look around, sign up, share and contribute the best you have.

See you inside.

The Arbtalk Team

Follow us

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.