Castrol 2 stroke

gary112

17 minutes ago, Rac man said:

Does the r40 oil smell like the old castrol r from the 70's if so I'll get to put a drop in the mower for old times sake sad I know 

Do the job properly, get a litre of it and put the recommended amount in the lawnmower as it's engine oil.

Unigrade oils are recommended for mowers anyway so it would actually do a very good job too.

Edited by coppice cutter
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Rac man said:

Does the r40 oil smell like the old castrol r from the 70's if so I'll get to put a drop in the mower for old times sake sad I know 

Sorry . R 40 is the "old Castrol R " from the 70s . Its a 4 stroke engine oil . I was a bit misleading when I mentioned it in a 2 stroke thread . Soz . 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Stubby said:

Sorry . R 40 is the "old Castrol R " from the 70s . Its a 4 stroke engine oil . I was a bit misleading when I mentioned it in a 2 stroke thread . Soz . 

It smells like it does because its a caster based oil . You can even get a scented candle in R40 for your " man cave " now ! 😁

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Stubby said:

Not necessarily wrong.

Castrol R was used extensively in two-stroke racing bikes through the 60's and 70's due to it's extreme anti-seize properties. It had one major problem, when it was exposed to the wet it tended to emulsify and had to the potential to stick the throttle slides open.

So Castrol set about developing an oil which contained R to prevent engine seizures but had other ingredients to mitigate against it's nasty characteristics. It was a difficult job as R was a vegetable oil (the Yanks still call it "bean oil") and highly incompatible with most standard mineral oils and additives.

The resultant oil was Castrol A747, it's still available (or something close to it at least, it's no longer made in Swindon so it's hard to be sure) and it's still the preferred choice for many people racing classic two-stroke motorcycles.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, coppice cutter said:

Not necessarily wrong.

Castrol R was used extensively in two-stroke racing bikes through the 60's and 70's due to it's extreme anti-seize properties. It had one major problem, when it was exposed to the wet it tended to emulsify and had to the potential to stick the throttle slides open.

So Castrol set about developing an oil which contained R to prevent engine seizures but had other ingredients to mitigate against it's nasty characteristics. It was a difficult job as R was a vegetable oil (the Yanks still call it "bean oil") and highly incompatible with most standard mineral oils and additives.

The resultant oil was Castrol A747, it's still available (or something close to it at least, it's no longer made in Swindon so it's hard to be sure) and it's still the preferred choice for many people racing classic two-stroke motorcycles.

Yep . I used to run my 500 speed twin on R40 .  used to have to do a strip down and clean a bit more often inside . The caster bean has a lot to answer for . Another trick some of the gang used to do was put a couple of teaspoons of cooking oil in the fuel tank just to get the smell .

Edited by Stubby