Does this climbing kit look ok?

SFWTrees

17 hours ago, carlos said:

some sort of cambium saver, and a throwline set up would be fairly essential imo

cambium saver such a pain in the hoop if youre moving up the tree from a ladder, switch for sling and carabiner installed in the top of the tree once youre in.

and yes i know that means a trip back to the top at the end.

If you're on Hitchclimbers then the best cambium saver in my opinion is the multisaver from Teufelberger. The pulley type ones may be excellent on a mechanical but with hitch you are better off taking some of the friction away from your knot.

Throw line is one of those things, I don't use it often as prefer going up ladders but when you need it nothing else will do. Make a list of non essential things, to collect as you go along.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, manco said:

cambium saver such a pain in the hoop if youre moving up the tree from a ladder, switch for sling and carabiner installed in the top of the tree once youre in.

and yes i know that means a trip back to the top at the end.

not sure quiet what you mean about the ladder??, id only put in a cambium saver once at the top of the tree.

when i mentioned throwline set up in my post i meant a throwline and cube etc not set up a cambium saver with a throwline.

never been a fan of just a sling and krab as top anchor as not so keen on the way the krab can twist against the stem etc,

32 minutes ago, carlos said:

not sure quiet what you mean about the ladder??, id only put in a cambium saver once at the top of the tree.

when i mentioned throwline set up in my post i meant a throwline and cube etc not set up a cambium saver with a throwline.

never been a fan of just a sling and krab as top anchor as not so keen on the way the krab can twist against the stem etc,

ladder partway up the tree then progressing branch to branch moving top line up as you go.

sling and carabiner good if youve got a solid upright but no good thick forks for a cambium saver.

sling hitched around the upright and the fork is more stopping it sliding down not really taking any weight

in 20 odd years ive used a throwline about twice.

If you're on Hitchclimbers then the best cambium saver in my opinion is the multisaver from Teufelberger. The pulley type ones may be excellent on a mechanical but with hitch you are better off taking some of the friction away from your knot.

Throw line is one of those things, I don't use it often as prefer going up ladders but when you need it nothing else will do. Make a list of non essential things, to collect as you go along.
I'd second this; the TEUFELBERGER multiSAVER is excellent IMO. Simple and versatile. I often attach a pulley to it, (not had an issue around friction at the knot).
Are you concerned about overheating/glazing your prussic cord @DanMaynard?

11 hours ago, sime42 said:

I'd second this; the TEUFELBERGER multiSAVER is excellent IMO. Simple and versatile. I often attach a pulley to it, (not had an issue around friction at the knot).
Are you concerned about overheating/glazing your prussic cord @DanMaynard?

Multi-saver is a wonderful bit of kit. Those who haven't tried it don't know what they're missing.