Trailer towing

Ratman

9 hours ago, AHPP said:

I meant every word, more sincerely than you probably imagine.

Whilst absolutely sharing your disdain for Westminster thieves, charlatans and wasters Al, it’s a bit harsh to vent at someone that is helping the masses to comply with the fraudulent dictats handed down from on high. I see how you might apportion some degree of compliance / blame to the rule takers - but not everyone is quite so ‘active’ a rebel as yourself. Whilst the ‘rules’ exist we need people that allow people to comply and JM provides excellent knowledge on the subject matter which is beneficial to many here. 

Hold your nerve mate - soon be 5 Nov 😂🧙🏻‍♂️🌟💣🧨

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Some of the comments here are a bit ott. 

Yes it's a pain in the hole having to get a licence to tow a trailer and I imagine almost everyone on here can do it perfectly well, although possibly not in such a way as to pass the exam. ie with the door open etc. 

Have a think for a minute about those who aren't so proficient, do we really want more road users unable to reverse their caravans, occasional users of small car trailers overloading through sheer ignorance, idiots thinking their suzuki jimny can tow a three tonner.

There will always be chancers, I've been one for years! But theres a difference in plodding down a country lane at 40k with a bit too much load on and tearing down a dual carriage way overloaded and swaying precariously. 

On balance I guess what I'm saying, somewhat reluctantly is that there is a place for a practical test to ensure that an operator of a vehicle trailer combination is in fact capable of operating that vehicle. 

The sad reality is that many who do it well and will never have a crash of their own making whilst towing have no way to prove their competence after the fact unless they have the test done, so the test is an expensive and inconvenient necessity for them. 

I'm not sure if I think this is a good thing or not. I mean, it's great for those who don't need it, ie the competent ones, those who do it daily etc. It's one less bit of unnecessary faff. I'm just thinking about the weekend warriors and I'm not so sure..

• Like 2

There is no reason why business owners can’t take a bit of time out to tutor their staff in towing trailers. A bit of reversing practice in the yard, some vids off the net, even sitting with them and talking through some issues (like taking wider lines round junctions)

I was sitting next to my employee and he was towing the 2.2 chipper back from a job, we’re going down a steep hill and he’s barreling down there at the speed limit (80/90kph) I said hang on a minute that thing on the back weighs as much as the van, if something happens we’ll be following that into the ditch.

• Like 1

On 14/09/2021 at 21:58, Justme said:

I am regulated as a trainer as I kept my ADI status up. I also campaigned for it to become regulated

54 minutes ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

it’s a bit harsh to vent at someone that is helping the masses to comply with the fraudulent dictats handed down from on high. I see how you might apportion some degree of compliance / blame to the rule takers - but not everyone is quite so ‘active’ a rebel as yourself.

He was 'active' enough when he campaigned to have the state put the boot on his competition. He also responded to the consultation apropos the things we're discussing in this thread. I wonder what he said...

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, AHPP said:

He was 'active' enough when he campaigned to have the state put the boot on his competition. He also responded to the consultation apropos the things we're discussing in this thread. I wonder what he said...

Hardly putting the boot in when the actual law says that BE should have been under the adi scheme & most good BE trainers are still ADI.

Same law in NI & they have to be ADI (they have the same driver issue & still have BE) NI is part of the UK so should have same rules.

The rules were crazy that to instruct someone in a car be they a learner or full licence holder for money or payment in kind you had to be an ADI, yet add on a trailer & now you dont yet there are increased risks.

Why wonder? try asking me. But no you prefer to be Mr angry & abusive instead.

I am sure you voiced you fully informed position on the issue.

I guess now you will campaign for the removal of the H&S in your industry too?

I agreed with some of what they wanted to do. I even had better suggestions on how it could work & keep the safety & reduce costs for everyone but still increase tests for LGV.

They have made announcement yet still dont have a date or a plan on how the changes will work.

So now loads cant tow over 750kg / 3500kg combined until the law changes. 

Sadly by the time the gov do consultations all they are looking for are stats to back up what they have already decided to do.

1 hour ago, Mick Dempsey said:

There is no reason why business owners can’t take a bit of time out to tutor their staff in towing trailers. A bit of reversing practice in the yard, some vids off the net, even sitting with them and talking through some issues (like taking wider lines round junctions)

I was sitting next to my employee and he was towing the 2.2 chipper back from a job, we’re going down a steep hill and he’s barreling down there at the speed limit (80/90kph) I said hang on a minute that thing on the back weighs as much as the van, if something happens we’ll be following that into the ditch.

From what I have been lead to understand if my labourer / brash dragger was to have an accident whilst towing a trailer at work it is within the powers of the hse to investigate and look for evidence that they have training, so passing the problem etc back to me, the fact that he didn’t need training according to the dvla dosnt mean he didn’t require training to satisfy health and saftey and also my conscience 

• Like 3