Trailer towing

Ratman

11 minutes ago, Rough Hewn said:

I suppose it’ll be easier for the traffic officers too.
They don’t know if the driver has a b+e until they pull them.
But now they’ll just look for piss takers with overloaded or unsound trailers.

Or in the ditch ;) 

1 minute ago, Justme said:

If you take a second & stop thinking about you & start to think about the rest of the population you would see why its needed. People that can are very much in the minority. Over the last 6 years & about 1000 tests I have had TWO clients that could have passed the driving bit with no help, both would have failed the hitching bit. Get plenty that would pass the reverse once they know the rules but almost none that would have passed the hitching without the training or the pre course docs / videos.

i can’t comment on the semantics of how to hitch a trailer to pass a trailer test, or infact how to reverse a trailer to pass a test. however just because it is the “approved” version it doesn’t mean it’s better imo. thankfully il

no longer have to pass a test to carry out something i’m perfectly capable of doing. 

my main issue is with the lack of common sense applied in these situations, I know plenty of 16-18yr olds who I wouldn’t trust to boil an egg, likewise i know a couple who id trust implicitly to run my tractor and grain trailer.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, John Shutler said:

i can’t comment on the semantics of how to hitch a trailer to pass a trailer test, or infact how to reverse a trailer to pass a test. however just because it is the “approved” version it doesn’t mean it’s better imo.

There are definitely safe & unsafe ways to hitch a trailer.

Its not just about using an approved method its about risk reduction.

Horse (and other sectors too) people without fail wont apply the brake before un hitching for example.

Honestly my best clients tended to come from the Arb world. 

Which is why you all think its not needed.

You understand risk, you take your time & mostly have already towed / reversed prior to taking the course.

About 10% of the rest will take all day to almost get reversing & can only do it by "painting by numbers" rather than understanding the process.

• Like 2

My 62 year old untrained but **uninjured take on training and RA's is best summed up by our H&S Officer deciding that lorries could only tip on hard flat paved surfaces, and only after chocking the wheels. Scheesh! I am not sure if he had even watched a truck tip on a site before committing his notions to print.

Etc 

Etc

Etc

**despite undertaking various potentially hazardous and unapproved procedures with power tools and machinery.

And all the training in the World cannot fix stupid.

Marcus

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Justme said:

Remember you dont know what you dont know.......

Those that can, do. Those that can’t… well, you know the rest. 

Let’s not loose sight of the fact that trailer training was not regulated. There was no exam to pass before being allowed to call yourself a trainer, unlike a regular driving instructor.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, doobin said:

Those that can, do. Those that can’t… well, you know the rest. 

Let’s not loose sight of the fact that trailer training was not regulated. There was no exam to pass before being allowed to call yourself a trainer, unlike a regular driving instructor.

Ah that old pile of rubbish. You will actually find that most vocational trainers can actually do it / have done it but have also skilled up on teaching skills. Most people that can, cant teach is more accurate. 

true which is why I am regulated as a trainer as I kept my ADI status up. I also campaigned for it to become regulated but the DVSA would not do it even though the actual Act says it should be an Adi to teach it. Oddly their responce was your only teaching them to do the trailer bit yet their own test is heavily weighted for the driving & most fails were for the driving.

oddly the better marker for a trainer is how their clients do on test & afterwards.

Lets all hope that you all dont get legislated out of a job / owning a company with 10 days notice........

Edited by Justme

@Justme

I cannot tell you how happy I am to see third tier dolescum like you sweating about this. You just can't stand that the Westminster thieves have backed off people who actually perform productive work for once and have stripped hanger-on losers like you of some crumbs. Please share any hardship you experience with the forum.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1